Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to all you pre 1977 Volvo owners [well at least the 2 series ones] I have been forced by ineptitude of Bosch so called experts to become an expert on the fuel injection system fitted to these cars [and to Mercedes, BMW, and exotic Italian as well]

the system is called continuous, mechanical, K Jetronic or "that bloody system" but as I say I have paid $1,000 to make mine worse and then got the book, took the whole lot apart and fixed it

so whatever your questions on the distributor, the injectors, the WUR or whatever I am a full bottle and can explain how to fix those cold start, warm start, hot start, no start etc problems
or at least explain where to start looking/measuring

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[attachmentid=246]I have posted this info [mit photo] to my Garage profile

please ask me any questions re "sound" and "fuel" - bit like David Bowie Sound & Vision

QUOTEI have modified the centre console of my 264 several times and in this photo you will see I have replaced the 2 vents with 5 gauges [and drilled holes to allow the AC/heating to still work

the main gauge is the one in centre which is an air/fuel mixture and from 10 o clock to 2 o clock has yellow LEDs to show stoiciometric OK and green to show rich and red to show lean

on the left is the System pressure which should remain as 70 psi

on the right is control pressure and should go from 10 psi in Canadian winter to 50 psi once warmed up

far left is vacuum and far right is water temp FROM radiator

down below the ash tray is replaced by master pot for sound system and other 2 are balance from front to back

up top is the 9 x 6 centre speaker pod I hacked into the sheet metal

under passenger feet is some heavy artillary amp wise to match the KW of the engine

so my console tells me everything I need to know re fuel injection [and allows minute calibration] but also helps me to get good fuel consumption and moreover allows me to blast my mind out sound wise

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would also offer my services as an expert on K-Jetronic. It's used on most of the 1980's VW's and I, like the Doctor, have had to become somewhat of an expert.
This '86 Volvo I just got will be interesting...my first experience with electronic fuel injection.
Thomas

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so as I understand it the pump goes straight to the inject and no distrubutor? then the amount of fuel to each cylinder is controlled by pulsing the injector, that being controlled by a [negative feedback] control loop from an oxygen [lamda] sensor

is that roughly how it works?

sounds a bit more prone to failure than the good old CIS fully mechanical system but would have to be cheaper if no expensive fuel distributor

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(The Doctor @ Jul 9 2005, 08:54 PM)so as I understand it the pump goes straight to the inject and no distrubutor? then the amount of fuel to each cylinder is controlled by pulsing the injector, that being controlled by a [negative feedback] control loop from an oxygen [lamda] sensor

sounds a bit more prone to failure than the good old CIS fully mechanical system but would have to be cheaper if no expensive fuel distributor
[snapback]11165[/snapback]​

Once again I see the "Doctor" is just close enough with his analysis to make an a$$ of himself. With his limited knowledge he decides that the injector pulse width is controlled by the oxygen sensor?......LMFAO! No "Doctor", the injector pulse width is determined by the ECM or in BMWs case the DME which takes into account the oxygen sensors values but relies on many other inputs such as a throttle position sensor, MAF or MAP sensors (which send the value of quantity of air being pulled into the intake chambers), engine coolant temperature sensor, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensors, intake air temperature sensor, barometric pressure sensors..........Doctor, your advice is about as reliable as the old drunk laying beneath a shadetree!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well man I said

QUOTEto all you pre 1977 Volvo owners [well at least the 2 series ones] I have been forced by ineptitude of Bosch so called experts to become an expert on the fuel injection system fitted to these cars

thomas said

QUOTEThis '86 Volvo I just got will be interesting...my first experience with electronic fuel injection.

I said

QUOTEso as I understand it the pump goes straight to the inject and no distrubutor? then the amount of fuel to each cylinder is controlled by pulsing the injector, that being controlled by a [negative feedback] control loop from an oxygen [lamda] sensor

and you blasted in like Germain Greer on testosterone

sounds like you need therapy for "toxic masculinity"

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(bmwmechanic @ Jul 19 2005, 02:31 PM)Actually no..............I just need a little more patience and acceptance for hypocrisy and ********* especially when it is displayed by someone who would seek to represent themself as intelligent and informed!
[snapback]11573[/snapback]​

I dont understand "patience" OR "acceptance" in the context of your "complaint" as you have made only 4 posts and all of them have been for the single purpose of abusing ME

What unknown traits do you purport to have to which we might be disposed to display patience and acceptance?

your whole aspect is esoteric, especially as this is a Volvo forum and not a Dr Freud workshop

BTW to go onto a lighter note with a bit of satire - have you seen the promo for American Chopper meets Lance Armstrong? on Discovery Channel [who Lance rides for I think]

Lance arrives at the hotel room door and Chopper has built one of his monsters as a pushbike but some 20 yards long - Lance takes one look and says "what the f.... is that?"

anyway I must away to see the next leg of the Tour De France - dem peddlies sure know how to have a good time

but on a sad note - what an ******** is that German car driver that wiped out the whole Australian womens cycle team, killing our best rider

he was on the wrong side of the road for gods sake

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(The Doctor @ Jul 19 2005, 09:34 PM)
but on a sad note - what an ******** is that German car driver that wiped out the whole Australian womens cycle team, killing our best rider

he was on the wrong side of the road for gods sake

[snapback]11597[/snapback]​

well I am hearing the "out of control" driver was a woman - anybody heard WHY out of control - was she drunk???

seems to be hushed up, at least here in Australian media

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.