Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some help. Our '86 240DL has a fuel problem that is eluding me. I changed the fuel filter and can get it started only by pumping on the gas whilst starting. It will run only if I keep pumping and racing the accelrator. It dies immediantly after you let off of the gas.

I can hear both fuel pumps functioning. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Wrangler

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Try checking the fuel pressure regulator.

How it works is that, it keeps the fuel pressure in the line, when the pedal is not pumped, and together with the fuel pump, ensures a continued steady supply fuel while idling.

BTW, I have moved this topic into the 240 FOrum, so that all the other gurus may help you.

Good Luck!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Do you have any big vaccum leaks?
Does your car have a mass flow sensor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for moving this to the correct forum. I haven't seen or heard any massive vaccum leaks. Where is the fuel regulator located? And yes it has a mass flow sensor (somewhere).

How do I check these items?
Thanks!

Wrangler out

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The fuel pressure regulator is located on the fuel rail it has a vaccum line going to it.Pull the vaccum line off and see if there is fuel in it.If there is it is bad.
Try unplugging the mass flow sensor and starting it and see what happens.
If it starts and idles good then the mass flow sensor is bad.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
do u hear like a popping somewhere in the engine? well idk but like there is a tube that runs to the air intake tube its from the top....maybe it got disconnected somehow??? its a rubber tube thats like a candy cane is shaped lol the best way i can describe it but check that and make sure its connected properly to the air intake tube

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I tried the mass air sensor; when I pulled it off I couldn't get the car started at all. Therefore I think that it's o.k.

Still looking for the fuel pressure regulator- Is it about 3-4" in length and about as round as a silver dollar located on the bottom of the fuel rail?

Crunk84Volvo- found said vaccum hose and it was off. Cut off split end but to no avail. Question-Do the vacuum line slip onto the canister or do I need to order special lines?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
it just slips on just slip it back on the hole and put like a tube clamp over it so that it cant come off in the long run...hope it helps...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding....I'm still fighting the fuel system. Here are the symptoms:
1) After much pumping I can get her started and it will run if one keeps pressure lon the accelerator. Lots of backfiring though.
2) Whilst tis running it does not seem to want to feed smoothly as the accelerator is pressed down.
3) There seems to be a leak on the banjo-bolt connectionm from the external fuel pump to the fuel filter. I have tightened them GORRILLA tight but to no avail. I took it apart and cleaned everything,put it back together and the leak persists.
4) I'm really begining to suspect the in-tank fuel pump is the culprit but that leak really bothers me.

Once again,thanks for your time and patience.

Wrangler

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
To fix the leak have you tried new copper washers?

If the intank pump goes bad the car will still run.

You need to try to see how much fuel pressure you have.

Also have you cleaned the throttle body and idle motor at all?

You might also want to check and make sure all is proper with the timing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tech- No I haven't tried the throttle body or idler moter. What would that be under in the Haynes book?

(Or is there a thread here that covers this procedure?)

The timing sounds great, but I haven't put a meter on it...

Thanks

Wrangler of the Car Herd

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I think I just made a post in this forum on cleaning the throttle body.

If you can't find it let me know and I will retype it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tech-Could not find a post in this sector concerning throttle body cleaning. Found one from June in the S70. I've looked in my Haynes but can't seem to find it there either. Are said instructions compatible? This throttle body is filthy on the outside....

I think you've convinced me that it isn't the fuel pumps.

I peeked under the timing cover after we first got it to check the belt and it was new, as were the wires and distributor cap.

Wrangler of the Car Herd

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Remove the plastic pipe going to the throttle body.Then disconnect the little rod going from the cables to the throttle body bye unlatching the tab on the end of the rod.Then the rod will slide off.Then remove the 3 13mm nuts holding the throttle body to the intake.Unplug the throttle position sensor and slide the throttle body off.Clean it really good and reinstall with a new gasket.

Also clean the idle motor which is located under the intake.It looks like a cylinder with 2 hoses going to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Roger that. I,m ordering said gasket today as I live in a small,small town and if it ain't American then they don't carry it here....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry the delay in responding. I didn't realize just how far back in the Ameican outback that I lived. I finally had to acquire some gasket material and make a gasket. I've pulled the flame retarder and cleaned it. Am now going in for the idle moter to clean it. Hopefully she will run today!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, made a gasket, cleaned the throttle body, found the PVC fire trap, cleaned it, replaced yet more vaccum linesn and attempted to fire it up. Started a lot easier but still refuses to idle. I've been reading about a coolant temperature sensor? Could this be the culprit? Would this be related to a thermastat problem?

Thanks for all the help. I'm begining to understand this machine a little better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts