Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2001 T4 with Xenon headlamps. How do I change the side lamps within the headlamp housing as removing the high voltage pack from the rear of the lamp unit still does not give me access to the push in bulbs?
Help - somebody must have done this without having to resort to the stealer, sorry, dealer network.
The only way that I can see to do it is to remove the headlamp lens from the reflector housing but this is a major pain in the butt.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I need to replace the small side lamps that are in the same housing as the main beam bulbs.
The main beam are fine but I guess I will have the same problem if one of them blows.
There does not seem to be any access from the rear of the headlamp assembly.
Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The only thing I could suggest now is to remove the headligth assembly and try to figure it out from there.
You should be able to have it out in about 20 to 30 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a feeling this would be the case. I know that the lens can be unclipped from the reflector housing but only once the complete headlamp assembly is off of the vehicle. Do you know if I will need to remove the front bumper?
Thanks for the input.
Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can remove the headlight without removing the bumper.
Remove the side marker by removing the one phillips screw between the marker and the headlight and slide the marker out.

Then remove the nuts going to the studs for the headlight.Then there is 2 more screws you will need t remove.Thne the headlight will feel loose.Then push down on the bumper cover itself and slide the headlight out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after much cursing I managed to get the headlamp units off the car and after springing the clips holding the lens to the reflector housing I was able to replace the side light bulbs with LED replacements.
Hopefully I wont have to touch them for a very long time.
Seems a bit of a design flaw that you have to completely dismantle the light unit to change a filament bulb.
Thanks for the info.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Volvo does weird things like that all the time.I think to just make it harder for the average Joe to do things on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts