Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all'
The seat backs on my 94 850 wagon, are in a laid back position and won't return to upright. I can hear the motors working on both but there is no movement at all. My guess is there's a cable or linkage broken. Anyone got similar problems/solutions.
Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
My driver side seat controls are a bit tricky. All work except for moving the seat-back forward. I found that it moves if just a bit at a time.

Try sitting in it and pulling forward on it while you give a short pull on the lever repeatedly. This works in mine.

I'll be keeping an eye on this to see what other people say. I'd like to fix my seat too!

Hope this helps!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Follow these instructions to replace the seat back cable.

Start by cutting the 4 hog rings at the bottom seam where the front and back meet.Both of the sides wrap around plastic hooking on tabs on the plastic.Carefully pull up on the leather exposing more hog rings.Cut them and peel up more till you can see the motor from the back side.You will also see elastic on both sides with a hook that will need to be unhooked at the top of the pocket on the back of the seat.To remove the lumbar handle unscrew till it stops then push in and unscrew more.Repeat till it unscrews all the way.Once you gain access to the cable use a mini torch to heat up the outside part of the cable at the metal sleeve at either the motor side or transmission side.Have someone move the switch either tilt foward or back and you should fell it fall into place.That should work for a while.Then tilt the seat all the way foward and then all the way back till it stops to recalibrate it.
Hopefully this will help you get it done.
Let me know how you make out.

P.S. You will have to buy hog ring pliers to install new hog rings.

If you have anymore quiestions just ask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tech ,
Re not being able to get my seat backs to move. I followed your advice and got them to work, although I had remove the cable from both the motor and gear box to get it to seat properly. It took me a while but hey ,they work.
Thanks very much for the advice
Cheers Dace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tech,

Thank you for the instructions, they were just what i needed. In the case of my seats not inclining back, my metal cable had simply retracted from the gearing. I just reinserted it back in and presto. It was because the whole cable and sleeve had backtracked out. What I also did was zip-tied the cable and sleeve near the middle of the cable and sleeve at or near the midpoint to a spring located on the rear of the backseat cushion. I did that just to reduce the play/slack on the cable and sleeve.
I don't own any hog wire pliers, so what i did was used black zip-ties to re-attach the vinyl at the bottom of the backrest.

Thanks again Tech!

P.S.
Do you or anyone else have step-by-step instructions on how to replace the O2/Lamda sensor? Is a special sensor socket required? My 94 turbo wagon is throwing that code and also the knock sensor code. TIA

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is easy to replace the sensor it is the only sensor located in the exhaust.
Sometimes you will need a special socket.But look first you might be able to just use a wrench on some of them.

Replace the O2 first then worry about the knock sensor.It could throw that code from the O2.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Stuartr @ Apr 24 2005, 02:16 AM)My driver side seat controls are a bit tricky. All work except for moving the seat-back forward. I found that it moves if just a bit at a time.

Try sitting in it and pulling forward on it while you give a short pull on the lever repeatedly. This works in mine.

I'll be keeping an eye on this to see what other people say. I'd like to fix my seat too!

Hope this helps!
[snapback]7073[/snapback]​

Hey Stuart,

Are your seats electric or non-electric seats, like mine? Referring to your case, try apply some grease to the railings underneath your seat. Sometimes, they tend to get stuck after a while.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Stuartr @ Apr 24 2005, 02:16 AM)My driver side seat controls are a bit tricky. All work except for moving the seat-back forward. I found that it moves if just a bit at a time.

Hope this helps!
[snapback]7073[/snapback]​

Hey Stuart,

Are your seats electric or non-electric seats, like mine? Referring to your case, try apply some grease to the railings underneath your seat. Sometimes, they tend to get stuck after a while.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ May 16 2005, 07:39 PM)Hey Stuart,

[snapback]8000[/snapback]​

He had a problem with the seat tilting foward and back not sliding forward or back.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Glad I can help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to start charging!!!!

LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't want to sound dumb but i cannot understand the procedure to repair my seat problem or to repalce the cable, it is the same problem as was posted here.

I called a garage around here and he says he charges 75$/hr and I should expect 2.5 to 3 hours repair.

According to what I read hear, it isn't a big problem to solve, as long as you know what you're doing of course, which isn't my strength.

So if someone could help me, I'd appreciate it very much

kind regards.

A repair nerd

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The hog rings I am talking about are at the seam at the bottom of the seat back.
Look for little metal rings that will need to be cut.Then follow the instructions from there.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Dober one,

I think Tech's instructions are quite easy to understand. Probably it would appear more clear to you, if you print / copy the instructions and bring it to you when you are DIY-ing the problem. (I sometimes have trouble remembering what the instructions were, myself.
Since we're part-time DIY-ers or rather DIY wannabes
we tend to get confused easier.)

Anyway, hope it works out for you!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Oh, btw, don't worry about cutting the metal round rings (Tech called it hog-rings). Someone in this thread (i believe its 'nvhb' who) used zip-ties - did the trick just as well... Prolly cheaper, too...

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
You're right. It is much easier with the help of pictures.

Thanks for the link. Hope everyone that have problems with the seat gets to benefit from this one.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(Dober_One @ Jun 6 2005, 06:36 AM)I don't want to sound dumb but i cannot understand the procedure to repair my seat problem or to repalce the cable, it is the same problem as was posted here.

I called a garage around here and he says he charges 75$/hr and I should expect 2.5 to 3 hours repair.

According to what I read hear, it isn't a big problem to solve, as long as you know what you're doing of course, which isn't my strength.

So if someone could help me, I'd appreciate it very much

kind regards.

A repair nerd

[snapback]9066[/snapback]​

its simple - if you cant get the front seat to go back just get the back seat to go to the front

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another seat issue, '94 850. I am not sure if it is the cable or the motor that drives the seat back? It has gotten progressively worse over the last 2 or 3 years, and now does not lift at all. I hit the switch, and the motor cranks for maybe 1/2 second, then stops. I can hit it umpteen times, and it does not lift the seat back. All other motors work fine.

I figured I would check before I pulled apart the seats to see if the cable was the culprit. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts