Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I spent an hour or two cleaning out the flame trap on my 240 & of course the breather pipes, the results are very satisfying runs like a dream petrol consumption down & altogether more lively, these pipes &filters are apt to be neglected because they are hidden away in a maze of other pipes.
Hope this is helpful to someone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
from what ive read, the flame trap is often neglected and needs to be cleaned or replaced.
so congrats for doing it, it isnt as hard a some people say.

at least on my 84 244..
just pop the distributor cap leaving all the wires except the coil one there and move it to the side.
this should give you room with your left arm to reach right in there and pull it out.
pull the large hose from the throttle body location off the trap first.
the little hose going to the top of the TB can be removed later or maybe helpful to help fish the thing out.

if very dirty, like mine, you will need to push the flame trap out of the two part enclosure. i used a skinny screwdriver from the top, through the angled tube extension.

a paper clip and some throttle body cleaner had the whole thing looking new.

re-assembly is a bit harder, but if you use a screwdriver in the top of the trap to steady it with your right hand, you can use your left hand to guide it back onto the block.
the hoses should go back on very easily.

then put on the distributor cap and hook up the coil wire and you're all set.

hope that helps someone else, as i was hesitant to clean it after reading some other posts that described a very tense two hour process.

-mattylu

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks, mattylu. I've heard of people going in with the right hand between the intake manifold and the firewall. Never could get the hang of it.

Then someone says to "just" remove the idle air control valve and throttle body. Watch out for the "justs" and the "onlys." With later IACs, the mounting bracket is easy. With my '86 the lower end is on the motor mount. Remove the bolts and hope it doesn't shift position.

Your idea sounds like a winner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts