Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My name is Andy - I go by Neos, and live in Alabama - near the Talladega track.

Last week my beloved 92 745t was rear ended and totaled - so I am out to get a new brick. Check out the link to the 760 I am pretty serious about if you would.

http://gallery141867.fotopic.net/c437019.html

It looks pretty clean - but the dash looks really odd to me - especially the radio area (I am used to 740/940's). I know that it has had a new AM/FM/CD put in - but has the job been botched? I asked about the screws on the side, and was told that was where a mount for a mobile phone was.

Waht do you think. AM I doing OK for 3K? It has 109K on it.

Thanks
Neos

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That is a pretty sweet car.I didn't see any pics of the engine but the car looks clean.The radio area that looks funny to you is because either from the factory the factory setup came with either an equalizer or a tape player there.The 760 was the main car to come with that setup.That is a pretty good price from what I can see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This car was a local trade in - I am pretty sure a one owner. Had my sights set on a 940 - but this looks to be the one. I really like unique cars, and this is one.

Now I have to think about a way to dress up that somewhat bland exterior color.

Andrew in AL (Neos)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I couldn't see what year it was but not soon after that the 740 turned into the 940.If you look close with the headlights and look at a 940 with headlights they are the same.I think the 940se was the same as the 760.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is an 89. You are right - the front end looks just like my son's 91 940t. By the way - I made the trip and got the car today. It needs a few fix up items - gas gauge works - then don't. Throttle body will need cleaning - probably will need shocks all around sometime in the future. It is really a neat ride, though.

Oh - as far as comparing to a 940t - the headlights, grile are the same - but the hood goes all the way to the windshield, and the back end of course - is vintage 740. The rear end is independent - makes for a completly different ride.

Love it!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes the indipendant rear will make a real diffrent ride.That suspension is from the newer cars.You got pretty lucky.That is a nice car.Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 20 2005, 09:36 AM)Yes the indipendant rear will make a real diffrent ride.That suspension is from the newer cars.You got pretty lucky.That is a nice car.Good luck

[snapback]3676[/snapback]​

Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of weeding out drivability problems with the car. It really is in good shape - appearance wise - and the drive train is generally good. The PO used shade tree mechanics to do work though - and man - was it jerry rigged. There were wires hooked up in the wrong place, by-pass prodedures - generally a track down mess for my mechanic. It was a 500.00 bill when I picked it up yesterday.

I think i have determined somethng about low mileage cars, which this is one with 110K (an 89). When a car has this low of miles for that many years - it has not been driven enough, and these cars like to be driven. I have come to the determnation that a well cared for 89 with over 200K could very well be in better shape than one like this one - that was driven only marginally - as far as miles are concerned. Of course, jack leg mechanic work did not help at all.

Just my two cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts