Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It can be verified? I suspect that the fan goes out.
I was able to remove the fan but it has a lot of connectors.
How I can verify if is bad or need to be replaced?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The Fan should only have 2 wires going to it.

The climate module has a lot of wires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did it.
Actually the fan connector is absolutely identical with the power supply conector for the hole ECC. So I disconect the power supply conector and connected to the fan, and the fan goes OK. So it rest ECC module (the hole thing from the central console) and the little black thing (some kind a control module with two connectors)

I suspect the black box, because the ECC looks like functioning. At least those 3 rotators for temperature (L and R) and the positioning comuters works OK.

Will see.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The black box that mounts in the heater box with the 2 plugs is the blower motor resistor.That controls fan speeds 1-2-3 only. Fan speed 4 is direct current.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is possible this because there are no wire directly between the ECC and the fan? All wires goes througt black box?
And there are no 1 2 3 4 positions, is continous linear from 0 (min) to max position.
The fan has two wires, red and blue.
Red is 12V permanently, blue is came directly from black box (resistor as you said)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't have the wiring diagram to show you but that is how it works.
I have been down roads like this many times before.The resistor is only for the lower fan speeds and the full on is 12v supplied.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes, problem solved.
It was the resitor blower fan.
Note: for the cars with ECC (like mine) is not valid the trick with 4th positions, because there is no 1-2-3-4 positions. All is linear and continous, managed by sensors and ECC.
So the fan will not go at all, not even at maximum and defrost positions. The fan is controled by that black box, and the black box receive informations from ECC (the whole module from the console, who by the way cost more over 1500CAD).

Now the problem is: why that black box goes out? what makes it not working?
This is the questions.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most of the time the blower motor goes bad first and pulls to many Amps and then burns the resistor up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Sep 12 2005, 07:34 PM)Most of the time the blower motor goes bad first and pulls to many Amps and then burns the resistor up.
[snapback]15184[/snapback]​

How many amps is regular functioning on max speed? 10A, 12A?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts