Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there- just got my license and my parents handed me the keys to our 98 volvo V70 and set me free. I'm looking to upgrade to stereo (no cd player) and the speakers and add a subwoofer. Best buy told me that Volvo's had crazy wiring and that they came with there own amplifier which means they would have to rip out all of the wiring and then install new wiring to bypass the amp system. Any experience with the stereo equiptment would be appreciated. I was also wondering what kind of speakers are in the car now, and where to find a factory stereo w/ CD player (just in case).

gophish5
Chicago, IL

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Depends on which stereo system the car came with.If it came with the tapedeck I don't think it had the amp in it.Most people install the aftermarket stereo and then conver from speaker level to RCA at the rear speakers for the amp.

Try another electronics place and see what they tell you.Make sure they don't hack the harness apart and wire the radio.Make sure they use the adapter plugs and harness to install the radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did exactly that; convert line to RCA right off my rear speakers. I didn't like to do it, but every installer I went to just kinda got glassy-eyed when I told em I had a 99 s70. I don't know, maybe the robust construction of the vehicle prevents it from playing nice with the installers.
Anyway, I did some research and if you don't have cd/tape, then you probabaly don't have a factory amp. either way, if you're not upgrading the headunit, you don't have to worry about it. Just tap into the wire that run to your rear speakers and run them into a line-to-rca converter. This will give you a better signal to run to an amp. (digital vs. analog, i think).
If you're upgrading headunit then existing wiring will suffice, provided you're not increasing the # of speakers overall (not including sub). As Tech said, just make sure you find an installer who will get the proper connectors; contact your local volvo technician. This will reduce your chance for the introduction of noise into your line and will keep overall sound quality high.
Use low guage (fatter is better, pretty much) wiring and quality components and you shouldn't have a problem doing this yourself. It'll help you develop a bond with your car and you've got a cool car to play with.
If you want to do crossover, cap, or multiple amp, then you'll have to find someone with more knowledge of it than I.
Good luck but most important, have fun.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(kingjms @ May 21 2005, 02:40 AM)
Anyway, I did some research and if you don't have cd/tape, then you probabaly don't have a factory amp. either way, if you're not upgrading the headunit, you don't have to worry about it. Just tap into the wire that run to your rear speakers and run them into a line-to-rca converter. This will give you a better signal to run to an amp. (digital vs. analog, i think).

Good luck but most important, have fun.
[snapback]8260[/snapback]​

well its actually all analog but its impedence matching that the little box performs

speaker output is high level and looking to match 16 ohms or so

RCA [line] output is looking to match up to 100k ohms or so

seem to remember from engin at uni about 40 yrs ago it is the max power transfer theorem

however most aftermarket amps will have both terminals so as to save the little black box as well

remember the sub woof amp is mono [normally] so you need to connect both channels to it

once one gets below about 400 hz the ear cant detect direction hence all the home entertainment systems have one woof [and normally reflex/ported design] and 5 smaller speakers to give spatial stuff

BTW in a car you are not really hearing 60 hz etc because it dont "fit" into a car - you are hearing first and probably second harmonics at 120 and 240 - but the ear is very forgiving so it sounds good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.