Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just picked up a 02 V70T and the black rubber trim looks like it needs some help.

What can you suggest besides armoral or any other similar product.

Thanks

Alan

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
My suggestion is to use armor all or STP. Spray a good amount on a corner of the rag and wipe it on. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Take a clean dry rag/towel and wipe it down in a back and forth motion.

One time, and it should look great. Its the only way I do it.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You could also check with your local dealer in the dept where they clean the cars.
Most of the time when the sell a car they use a spray to make all the moldings look good again.Most of the time they will tell you what it is.
http://www.ipdusa.com/
Try calling these people and see if they sell the dye to redye the moldings.
I think a buddy of mine bought it from them one time.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Black shoe polish, according to a feedback here, however, is not strong enough.

Asked if he had tried Shoe Paint, then... Said he'll give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 98 xc70 and the best product I have found for keeping the plastic parts looking like new is

Meguairs Trim Detailer

its a thicker cream product that brings plastic and rubber back to its original color (or at least closer if its really gone)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm with Trekxc70 - the Meguires product is brilliant. I got polish on the rubber and it looked pox. I couldnt get it off, until I hit it with Meguires. Needs a touch up every 6 months or so, but looks great in between.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(peterm @ Dec 6 2006, 05:12 PM)I'm with Trekxc70 - the Meguires product is brilliant. I got polish on the rubber and it looked pox. I couldnt get it off, until I hit it with Meguires. Needs a touch up every 6 months or so, but looks great in between.
[snapback]46448[/snapback]​

They also make specific products for removing residue from trim. Wax buster works great, but you can also use peanut butter if you dont want to buy additional products for this task

·
506 Posts
Trouble with Mequiars Trim Detailer is it does not last long enough (reapplication required after about 2 weeks). Also I find it runs, especially when you apply on trim areas above body panels, a dose of rain and you can see it run.

I'm a regular visitor at autopia and heard good things about Forever Black which uses a dye system mentioned above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found out about Black Again - 8 oz. bottle $6.95 at IPD product # 66309 from my mechanic. Works great water beads just like wax. Hides wax marks on the trim. Does not require too much work. Rub on wipe off. A little goes a long way.

Use it on all black trim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used Mothers Back-to-Black this weekend. So far so good. It went on easy and after 2 days looks great. I'll report back in a couple weeks and let you know how it deals with rain, etc.

The stuff is clear, though, not black, so even if rain makes it run a bit it shouldn't look too terrible.

I am very impressed with the vibrance and shine the product gives the trim.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I just used KIWI black shoe black this past weekend. Check my post under 2nd Volvo. It shows some during and after pics. Looks great and didn't run at all in the ensuing rainstorm.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I'm with JKS2, Kiwi Forever Black show polish. both the R's have gotten them and they went through 3 water gun fights with the nephews (I used the hose, biggest gun wins
) and two heavy rainstorms, no running. good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
black bumper coating by plasticote.....its more of a dye than a paint...i masked off my car and used about 8 cans of this stuff....my trim is now black rather than charcoal..looks fantastic, doesnt fade, doesnt come off.

FYI, anyone who uses STP and or armorall on their cars is wasting their time and there money...that stuff is garbage. plus, it attracts dust

1 - 18 of 18 Posts