Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the problems I noted on the old expansion tank was that, it had lots of cracks (prolly indicating a lot of heat exposures) and if seen from a level (180 degrees) angle, the lid or the expansion tank cap was a bit off.

Of course, the lid closes tightly still with no leakage from the cap itself, but anyone could almost see that the lid was not properly leveled to the tank.

One observation I made was that, the position of the expansion tank itself was not levelled. You could easily judge this, by looking at the coolant inside the tank. THe coolant level is slunted to the right (if you're facing the engine).

Is there anyway I can correct this? If this newly-fitted used one gets to show the same problem, then my theory may be right. (Of course, have to wait up to 6 months in the future to know this...
)

Anyone have the same condition?
Or should I toss this aside, and continue doing and thinking of something else?

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Are you sure it is snapped in all the way?
Sometimes they won't drop all the way down unless you give a little hit on them.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, it is down all the way...

I am thinking of putting a small hard-rubber 'brick' to lever it upwards a bit, so that it wont tilt as much... Of course, have to find a way to stick it too.

What do you think, Tech?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Could you maybe bend the bracket a little to make is straight?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try that. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, done. Thanks again, Tech!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
depending on if photo taken when cold or hot the level may be too high

mine is different older type but FULL COLD mark is about half way up

does your have marks?

anyway the relief valve in the cap is happy to operate with air or fluid so level is not highly impt - the main reason for marks is not to have coolant all over garage floor

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, exactly. Mine is within the Min and Max levels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts