Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a light on it looks like a resevour with a fan in it. We replaced the thermostat it was bad. And it looks like my expansion tank has a crack in it. I don't know if the computer can detect that and that is why my light is still on or what. It just kinda worries me, it gets up to tempetature real quick but does not overheat just stays at half way like normal. my water gets really hot inside there to where it is boiling is that supposed to do that.?? Does a tech need to reset my light to get it to go off maybe??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The coolant should not boil at all.
The light is supposed to be for Low coolant.It comes on when the coolant in the bottle is low.If the sensor goes bad it will stay on all the time.

If the coolant is boiling then you migth have a bad thermostat.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Beckham,

You mentioned "my water gets really hot inside there to where it is boiling is that supposed to do that.??"

Do you use water or coolant?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need to use an approved coolant, usually a 50/50 mix of the green stuff (Prestone, volvo, whatever) and water. If you don't, the water will boil and your engine will crud up because water does not protect the aluminum parts from corrosion.

Snorri H.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I agree you need to use coolant and not water.
Make sure all the components are working properly as well.
The coolant in the bottle should not boil at all.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Rebekah and Beckham,

Explanantion by Tech and SnorriH are spot-on.

Hope it hasn't escalated into something more perplexing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts