Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my third Volvo.Like most I've always been impressed with the quality,dependability, and safety of Volvo products.I've owned a 89' 740GLE,95'850wagon,that I just sold to buy a 2001 V70. I am wondering if I made a mistake.It is a lease return with 37K miles on it.I reviewed the service history and it did have some problems in it's early miles. I will list the history That I have;Mileage-3168, eng. lost power and died, dash lights came on(tech) report; no problem found.Mileage-7322,check eng light on(tech) checked eng. light.Mileage 15516, car acts like not running on all cylinders(tech) software control module downloading (
656 WPV 30677036 3 upgrade TCM, 30677021 5 upgrade ECM PE. Mileage 24742, starting out from stop acceleration makes deep gunning noise from eng area,all the time.(tech) reports no abnormal noise from eng area.Mileage 32350 , check eng light on.(tech) reports Mass air flow sensor replaced. eng control module fault tracing diagnostic trouble code (
567 WPV.Diagnostic trouble code (DTCS) reading/ resetting VST/VCT (
567 WPV .Mileage 33586 ,towed in broken down on freeway.(tech) report fuel pump replace.not mention above front brakes replaced.Headlamp replaced,30k service.Front end ailgment .Tiers replaced.possible oil sump leak.(Never confirmed)Eng. elec. cooling fan(recall) replaced.Replaced radio.That is all the previos history I have.I've put 3K miles on it and just found a very very strong smell of gas in the cabin.Did some research and found the prepump is under the left back seat.I pulled the cover and found it was leaking at the seal(fire hazard).I had a local Mech pull the seal and he found small rocks and dirt on the gasket. He cleaned it and replaced it and no leaks so far.
With all this said and all the very intellegent posts I've been reading is anyone out there thinking I bought a lemon and should dump this car.Or, did I buy a car that already has all the quirks worked out?Or, is this the the history of a car that is going to give me big dollar EMT problems for ever?I live deep in the snow belt and this my wifes primary car with two toddlers and I work out of town for a week at a time.We also have no Volvo dealer around for 45 miles.
We love the car and hate the idea of giving up on Volvo and buying something else.
And, if you're still awake! what is the latest w/ the EMT lawsuit(I've read the May 5th report)Does any one know the % of emt problems w/2001 V70?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is alot of them with problems.They are making progress on getting them repaired.They are also going to be issueing a recall soon from what I hear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Volvo NA supposedly has until 09/15 to reply to the NHTSA investigation concerning safety issues with the 99-01 Volvos with Magneti Marelli ECM. Many dealers seem to pretend that there is nothing even wrong with the older ECM and many have written and called Volvo NA only to be given the cold shoulder and vague responses that never acknowledge the problem at hand.

Now there is a recent report that Volvo knew of the problems of the contacts (fingers) on the faulty ECM, and even had a newer design that used non-contact sensors. There is currently a class action lawsuit in California--given the recent information about a new ECM design, Volvo could be in pickle in the near future.

Ford has made some huge recalls in the past with Firestone/Bridgestone tires, and just recently made some more recalls on their trucks and SUVs. Another EXTREMELY expensive recall with their Volvo subsidiary will definitely put a HUGE hurt on F share prices.

I am hoping the NHTSA will FORCE Volvo NA to do the right thing now. It's very apparent now that Volvo NA will not do the right thing on their own--you know a corporation's first responsibility is to the shareholders, not to the lives of their customers?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Different places.. 1.Here on this forum. 2.From people at the dealer I used to work at.

There is supposed to be a recall and an extended period of time the throttle body's will be covered under warranty for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the info.I hope what you have heard is correct.I love my car and if I was assurred that EMT won't break and leave my wife and 2 kids stranded in a snow storm when I am out of town I will be very much relieved.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Jimno @ Sep 11 2005, 01:26 PM)Thanks again for the info.I hope what you have heard is correct.I love my car and if I was assurred that EMT won't break and leave my wife and 2 kids stranded in a snow storm when I am out of town I will be very much relieved.
[snapback]15085[/snapback]​

We know the feeling, dude. Let's hope for the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts