Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the 242 turbo that resides in my garage. I acquired her in '03 from the estate of the original owner, Esther, a Pasadena school teacher. The car had 119,000mi on the clock and had sat for 8 years while the owner was in a rest home. Esther's first husband owned the first Volvo dealership in Pasadena, CA and when he passed on, her son took it over. He gave her the car off the lot and I doubt that it ever left the confines of LA and Orange Counties. The son is a distant relative and knew I had had my eye on the car for some time. When no one in the family wanted to deal with the problems of a car that had sat for so long, he agreed to sell it to me. It had sat under a Chinese Elm and a pine tree and was pack full of needles and tiny leaves and dirt. After getting her running and a thorough scrubbing, I got her home to Santa Barbara and proceeded to tear her apart.

The engine seemed strong but all the rubber was shot. I removed the intake manifold and replaced the wiring harness, all the sensors, hoses, clutch, belts, battery, timing belt, tensioner, water pump and alternator (80amp upgrade) plus all the usual tune up stuff.

On the outside, the cracked windshield was removed along with the trim, lights and bumpers, the assorted dents, dings and rust acquired over the years were repaired, a "flat hood" was installed and the peeling clear-coat was stripped. The car was repainted the original silver while all the trim was replaced or repainted with SEM Trim Black. E-code headlights, Bosch fogs, side marker lights and a power antenna were installed, as well as chassis braces, B&G lowering springs, ipd sways and poly bushings, Koni Sports, ATE Power Discs and PBR Ceramic pads. The blasted and powder-coated Virgos were shod with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s.

The original interior was black cloth with manual windows, something which seems a bit rare in a Turbo, most seem to be optioned out with leather seats and power windows. The interior was sunfaded but in otherwise great shape, well except for the previously mentioned leaves and pine needles. I removed the seats, carpet and dashboard, fixed a bit of rust under the seats, cleaned out the leaves and crap stuffed into the rocker panels and cleared out the water drains. The stereo was replaced and new speakers were mounted in the doors and rear deck. The seat covers came off and were washed (took two wash cycles to clean 'em) and dried and the seat foam and grids were replaced. After the seat covers were reinstalled, I sprayed them (yes, from a can) with SEM Color Coat. The black color was restored and the seats look and feel like new. The carpets were cleaned, a new un-cracked dash was installed along with an R-Sport Momo wheel.

I'm sure there's tons more I've forgotten...like the 120mph speedo to replace the 85mph original. I even set the new odometer to match the original mileage.
Next up is to install the new nissen rad and intercooler and the newly rebuilt and ported water-cooled turbo to replace the oil-cooled lump in the car now.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading
here's the car,

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That thing is NICE.Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(eli @ Feb 27 2005, 10:43 PM)Very nice, great job on the restore.
Do you have any more pics, including the interior?
[snapback]4162[/snapback]​

Thanks, I have some pics up on my Ofoto site.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I tried to look at your pics but you have to be a member to be able to see them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 1 2005, 06:17 AM)I tried to look at your pics but you have to be a member to be able to see them.
[snapback]4246[/snapback]​

Hmmm...I used to be able to link to the site...try this link.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 2 2005, 09:08 AM)The link still isn't working.It says you have to use the share feature on the Ofoto site.
I do have a membership with them now.
[snapback]4360[/snapback]​

OK...one final attempt. Try this link. Ofoto may still require registration, but it is free...

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts