Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Parked last night and everything is fine, rained all night and it was chilly too, get up this morning, car won't start. Engine turns fine. All electrical seems to be fine as well, I am guessing there is gasoline reaching the plugs.

I think it cannot be the fuel pump, since it is in the gas tank. Could be the filter? would that stop the car from starting?.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

------------

P.S. I tried looking for the answer in other posts before writing here, however most of the titltes of the posts aren't very clear, maybe we could improve on that aspect.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Every once in a while these things will do this.Try holding the gas to the floor turning the key on and cranking it over.Keep the gas pedal to the floor.Some times they flood out and that is the easiest way to get it started.If not you will need to check for spark.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
It happened to me once, while trying to return home after getting the groceries. (We went to a new outlet which was like 60 kms away!
)

After about three to four hours, the car wouldn't start as well. Only after the fifth crank, and lots and lots of prayers from my wife, the engine turned. And thank God, it never happened again.

But me, I am worried. What if it happens again? And in the middle of nowhere? * gulp *

But then again, I sometimes worry too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
WOW.
Problem solved - short term of course.

In short it was raining for the past few days and it was very humid, and yes you guessed it, my Volvo didn't like it.

I need to replace the distributor cap along with the wiring and the plugs, all of this is fine. However the solution to start my car was new to me, but it seems my friends new about this trick, but of course didn't mention it to me when I NEEDED IT.

The towing guy sprayed half a can of WD-40, seems it removes all humidity from the wires and the dis. cap.

hahaha, I feel like an idiot, but at least I can drive my car to the garage now.

Hope this helps another poor soul like me.

P.S. thanks to all for your help, especially TECH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts