Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had this car for a couple of weeks now so still getting used to how things sound normally. Tonight when getting home, I noticed at low idle(900RPM-ish) a squeaking noise similar to one that would appear in the serpentine belt drive if a rock got into a pulley or something similar. It was pretty loud. No noticeable performance issues, no codes when scanned. Check engine light is on, as well as tracs due to ABS controller issue.

My first step in diagnosis was to pull the serpentine belt off fully and start the car to see if noise was still there. It was, so back to square one I guess. I've checked the oil, it's clean and topped off. Noise seems more concentrated to passenger(right) side of vehicle and noise goes away and stays quiet until it returns to an idle by just giving it a very small amount of fuel.

Right now, my best educated guess would be something to do with the timing belt and associated tensioner and idler pulleys or water pump. From the paperwork I received with the car, I'd say the timing belt and water pump were replaced approx 32k km ago.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, engine is 2.3L Turbo 5cyl, approx 312k km, automatic, front wheel drive please feel free to ask me anything if you think it may help. Thanks again

Mike

· Registered
76 Posts
hi Mike ive got 08 V50 2ltr manual your assumption regarding tensioner etc seems logical but 32km not much and more the right side you say its a long shot but could it be the auto gearbox maybe check the fluids?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.