Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How would i know if the mountings need checking?

... or if they need replacing?
... or which one needs replacing?
... or how many exactly are there?
... or where exactly are they?

This above is assuming that I don't have a lifter at home. And of course, though I know the easiest way is to go check at the mechanics, but just wondering what is it that I should be aware of, with regards to the topic.

And oh, how long (time or KMs or Miles) do they last?

Thanks, dude!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't think there is an exact timeline.There is one on the front on the engine.To tell if it is weak remove the right side front tire.Look at the mount under the plastic wheel well cover.There is 2 ways to tell if it is bad.1.When you look at the mount there is a pin that goes from front to back if that is all the way at the bottom of the slot it is bad.You can also look from the bottom of the mount and see if it is hitting the subframe.If the bottom of the mount is really clean and looks like new rubber and the rest of the mount looks old then it is bad.

To check the top mount on the top of the engine try to slide the bar that attaches to it from side to side.If the center comes out of the mount it is bad.You can either buy the entire bracket to replace or buy the bushing.If you buy the bushing it needs to be pressed into the bracket.

To check the 2 other mounts which are at the front and rear of the engine compartment.They are kind of hard to tell when bad because they are hydrolic mounts.There really isn't a refrence point.Most of the time they just go bad when they break and leak all the fluid out.Look at the mounts and see if there is like rusty water all over the bottom of the mounts.If so then they are bad.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, how many mounts EXACTLY are there?

And the types? I assume when you differentiated the hydraulic ones, there are others that are not hydraulic?

Oh, the top part near the gap between the air filter and the engine is a MOUNT? I thought its a 'bushing'...? (Probably the bush represents a mount, as well.) BTW, I checked this and it is still tough.

A friend told me that if I take a bend at a speed (not too fast, though) and the car feels 'swaying' especially from the front, then the mounts need replacement. Is this acceptable? I thought this is what the front anti-sway struts are for?!
BTW, my baby doesn't sway yet.

Hmmm...

Advice, Tech?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There are 4 total.2 hydrolic 1 Rubber and 1 bushing that they call a mount.The 2 hydrolic are in the front and rear of the car to engine(technically the sides of the engine since it is in there sidways).The rubber one is on the right side of the car at the bottom of the engine(Technically the front of the engine).The bushing mount is on the top of the engine the bracket goes by the distributor.

I don't beleive what your friend says.That would be suspension parts doing that.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for clarifying that. I'll try to do some eye-inspection on them later.

Yes, I agree with you. I told him that the swaying part could be easily eliminated by the anti-sway struts. But in any case, borrowing your reasoning, the suspensions probably need replacements, first. Don't worry, I'll engage in the discussion with him again later on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts