Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 V70 GLT that I was just getting ready to sell (5 kids, getting to big to sit in the third seat)... I was running one of the children to an actiity, when the car suddenly started running very rough. I took the car to a local shop to read the trouble codes, and he told me I needed tune up as it was displaying 302 (misfire on cylinder 2) 304 (misfire on 4) and 300 (general misfire). It didn't make sense that this would suddenly happen (unless there was a crack in the dist.) but I tuned her up anyway. Car still runs the same and gives me the same codes. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cap, rotor, plugs and wires... Did a little more work today and found out that there is very little compression on cylinder 2 (~30psi) compared to 160 on cylinder 1. I didn't have time to check the other cylinders yet. I am in the middle of checking to make sure that the timing is still correct, but I can't remember where the timing marks are suppose to line up on the crankshaft. Any help? (I checked Bay13 and can't tell from the picture, nor can I figure it out from the Chiltons manual, even though I know I have done this before). Thanks...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Wow that is low compression. The timing mark is on the inside of the crank pulley and there is a mark on the engine.

After you get all compression reading redo it with a wet compression test.Which is adding oil in the cylinder and if the compression goes back up to normal the rings are bad.If not there is something wrong in the head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks... I haven't gotten back to it yet but will hopefully tomorrow. Does anyone know if the timing belt "skipped" a tooth, would it cause the valve timing to be such that cylinders two and four would lose compression?? I hoping the answer is yes, but I guess I will find out tomorrow!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is possible but not likely.It is very easy to check the timing marks.Remove the outside cover.Then look on the inside cover you will see 2 marks the pulleys will sit at almost 10 and 2 to match the marks.Then you can look at the crank pulley and on the top of the pulley will be a mark and the same on the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't able to see the mark on the crankshaft pully until I got the balancer off. It looks like the timing belt is properly lined up. I did the "wet" compression test and the compression values didn't change on the low cylinders (#2 and #4) so it looks like I will have to pull the head. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts