Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi...i am a new member and stumbled on this site while trying to ressolve a problem on my 2001 x reg s40 1.8.......

the problem i am having is the engine light starts to flash (NOT CONTINUOUS)when the engine warms up..i have been to a couple of local garages for advice but no one really knows what the problem is...
i hear volvo charge a fortune just to inspect so i thought i'd get independant advice first.....
i had been told that it could be the wrong grade of oil or the oil switch could need replacing...i've also changed the oil filter and volvo reccommended oil also added stp and flushed the engine ..but still same problem......

only other thing it could be is the oil pump but that also seems ok....there are no knocking noises but when light comes on it is abit concerning......

ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE.....
THANKS

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most of the time when the light flashes it means that the engine is missfiring.
Check the plugs and the coils by bet is that one or the other is bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got the same problem in my S40 - 2,4i from 2004...
In my case its the mixture of air thats not optimal....
If the sign is yellow, and the car is running fine, you dont need to bother!

/D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies....
ive already changed the plugs and coil but problem remains...red engine oil light doesnt continuously flash but only when warm then blinks every now and again.....have been told i could need a new engine.......

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
See if you can purchase an aftermarket oil pressure guage and install it so you can keep an eye on the oil pressure.
You might have bad oil pan o-rings.

Sorry I was mislead at first I thought the check engine light was flashing not the oil light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry...my fault in original post...it is not the engine light but the red oil light thats causing problems....have changed oil and filter.plugs,oil switch, air filter and coil but problem remains....stp helped a little but light still appears after around 10 minutes running....will try the oil pressure gauge and see if that helps....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts