Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The last time l brought my Volvo in for service because the light was on was because it had something to do with corrosion by the coil.

This time when l called to make another appt they questioned me on when the last time l filled it up. It happened to have been last night but l heard the gas station attendant turn the gas cap.

They said that the gas cap has to be turned until it is tight and will not turn any more. This was not the case, he turned it maybe 10-12 clicks.

Could this be the problem and they said if this was the cause it would go away in three days. I fill all my cars at this station and never had a problem.

Alan

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can check the gas cap your self and see if it is on cross threaded.
The bad part is the dealers always ask about the gas cap and they shouldn't.
Because if the customer looks at it and it is wrong and then puts it back on properly and the light doesn't go off right away then the tech spend hours trying to figure out why the light was on and then we find out if was just the cap.
Then they get paid for .30 for spending 1 hour or more to look for it.

But you can check yours.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my cap was on properly. I will be dropping it off tuesday night unless the light goes off.

The only thing that l felt was when l started the engine (cold) it was a little rough and then cleared up.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Could ba a bad evap valve.
But is good that you are having it looked at.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning when l started the engine the "check engine " light didn't come on.

I will wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

When l start the engine in the morning it's a little rough until it warms up and then it's fine.

Is this normal?

Alan

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
Sometimes the fuel will drop back some and takes a minute to come back.
Just mention it next time at the dealer.
It might also be because there is codes in the ECM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got the same problem with my wife's V70, my Indi mechanic read the code - which told him that the "right" bank was running too rich - thought it might be the throttle body being dirty, and cleaned a couple of times. Also recommended I use midgrade gas to keep the throttle body clean. However this did NOT solve the problem, and the next thing he recommends is the forward oxygen sensor. Have any of our other readers had this problem?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
My guess is the O2 sensor.If it has 2 replace both or you will have to replace the other soon as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Talked to my indy mech. and he decided that I need to replace the oxygen sensor, and arranged to this - until I talked to him today. He now suggests that I run a tank of high test through, as having taked to some of his Volvo buddies, he now thinks that as the car sat for a couple of months before I bought it, he thinks the gas might have been "bad" and if I go the high test route there is very good chance the code may correct itself.
I would like to hear what your expert opinion of this is.
Many thanks
The Bear

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I doubt that is why It came on.I will bet it is the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks,
I decided to go to another local indi mech who comes highly recommended and who gives a 12 month/12000 miles warrenty on his repairs! Will see what he says next week!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts