Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1992 Volvo 240 is having tons of engine knocking. Any time I press the gas, I hear my engine knocking. The engine is the stock that comes with the car (4 cyl, inline). So I got two questions:
1. Will changing from 87 to 91 octane actually make the difference?
2. I suspect a greater problem than the octane rating since this has been a growing problem. What would cause such a problem and how much would it cost to fix it? (Is it worth it aswell?)

-Paul

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If it is a knocking noise then most likely it is a bad bearing in the bottom of the engine.It would be cheaper to buy and install a used engine from a salvage yard.

The only other thing to look at that might cause a little knocking noise is the lower crank pulley.Sometimes the rubber comes out from between the 2 pulleys and will make a knocking noise.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(propaul80 @ Apr 25 2005, 07:05 AM)My 1992 Volvo 240 is having tons of engine knocking. Any time I press the gas, I hear my engine knocking. The engine is the stock that comes with the car (4 cyl, inline). So I got two questions:
1. Will changing from 87 to 91 octane actually make the difference?
2. I suspect a greater problem than the octane rating since this has been a growing problem. What would cause such a problem and how much would it cost to fix it? (Is it worth it aswell?)

-Paul
[snapback]7105[/snapback]​

well it depends on the noise - if you mean pinging or pinking it is an octane/gummed up problem, ie a coked up engine has less room in the chamber SO effectively increases compression ratio so the classical pinging [which is like a rattle]

but have you tried 91 octane??? I am surprised to hear you would even think of 87 but could be different specs in different countries

1 - 3 of 3 Posts