Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

As many of you know by now, I drive a 1984 Volvo 240GL (Auto) ... fitted with B200 engine and a Pierburg 175CD carburetor. Just want to know what are the signs that the engine gasket needs replacing?? I know that at some stage, it will need to be replaced. What are the signs? Also, upon replasing it, how long before it may need to be replaced? Is it a complicated process? Does it take long to be replaced? Thanks and regards!

Mark.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I take it you mean cylinder head gasket Mark??

IMHO do not wish that upon yourself BUT far less drama on a 4 cyl engine than a V engine

I would ask why are you even asking, eg my orig 264 engine appears to have done half a million kms without having heads off AND it appears that the only reason the engine carked it was previous owner put water in and the whole thing rotted [as the manual explains]

but to answer question, low compression and oil in coolant are symptoms to make your blood curdle that head gasket has gone - like you WILL know because volvo will overheat and stop volvoing

I would ignore the possibility and just be kind to volvo to PREVENT it happening

eg if in traffic jam and temp is rising exponentially turn off AC open windows and even put heater on full blast to keep temp down - you may get hot but you just might save the engine

remember it takes but one overheat to cook an engine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts