Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 XCC60, 4 cylinder turbo that just started drinking oil. The dealer said that the pistons are damaged and the engine has to be replaced at an outrageous cost. It has 80K miles on it and is our of warrantee.
It runs OK except for drinking oil. Can you tell me what it should cost to replace this engine? I expect that they would use a new short block and reuse all the electronics, fuel system, and head.

Thanks,
Ranger

·
Registered
793 Posts
But maybe it's the head that contains the problem.

I just replaced the entire engine on my S60 (5 Cylinder) after 280,000 miles because of a blown valve caused by a leaking valve seal in the head . . . . Cylinder 3 had "ZERO" compression, even after adding a couple ounces of oil to rule out rings, while all other cylinders were in the neighborhood of a 185 PSI.

And because no one wanted to fiddle with the Variable Valve Timing, it was cheaper to just have the whole engine replaced, and I did with a youngster bearing only 95,000 miles on it.

You need a good diagnosis of what's causing the oil consumption "BEFORE" making your decision.

My replacement, Parts and Labor cost me $2900.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ranger,
I also have a 2015 XC60 4cyl Turbo that has excessive oil loss. My vehicle has 85k miles on it but according to Consumer Reports, modern cars should not burn oil. Other manufacturers such as Subaru and GM have made good on extending the warranty for engines that have oil loss problems. What did you end up doing and did Volvo cover any/all of this problem that a modern car should not have?
Thanks, SlowDriver

1 - 3 of 3 Posts