Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my mechanics just 5 minutes from home, imported a half-cut a.k.a. scrap remains (front) of an 850 R, which arrived on 25 June. As on the 26, I had the opportunity to be the first to salvage the remains.

As I was really in need of an expansion tank, (see attached for the photo of the old and the new one) I took the liberty to 'help myself' over the metals. Armed with 'borrowed' torx screwdrivers and pliers.

Surprisingly, taking it off seemed as easy as fitting it again. With the exception of the heat.
I can still 'feel' the heat of the coolant on my palms, as I carelessly overturned the tank, without making sure the lid was tight. Ouuch... MAN! No wonder they charged RM50 just for the labour on this.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just see how friggin' dirty the tank is... And compared it to the used one that I got from the scrap half-cut.
And mind you, that is AFTER I washed the tank. Just imagine how it looked like BEFORE I washed it.
Eeeeyukkk!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, arising from the above, it just struck me, as I didn't actually really flush the engine's coolant system. I only changed the expansion tank, and put in new coolants and some water in it.

As such, could anyone SHARE with me, if I were to flush the engine's coolant system, WHAT exactly do I have to do? The techniques and all... Plus if you have any special tips and hints to stop me from burning my hands again, it would be great!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
First start to drain it cold.Remove the lid for the expansion tank.Then climb under the front of the car and look for the drain screw/nipple on the bottom of the rad.I think it is on the left side of the car.Use a 13mm wrench or deep socket to loosen it.
You may have to jack it up some to fit something under there to catch the old coolant.loosen the drain all the way and let it all drain out.Once it is all drained then tighten the plug back up.Then fill the coolant back up.Fill the expansion tank all the way to the top as far as you can and still install the cap.Then go and test drive it for atleast 6 miles.Then check the coolant level when you get back.It should be at the max level.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it, dude!
Should I repeat the process again for another time, or would doing it once, sufficient?

Many thanks, Tech!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tech,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts