Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 97 850 GLT with 115K miles. Everytime I run it relatively hard, I can smell and sometimes see smoke coming from the engine compartment. It doesn't last too long, but the smell of burning oil is really strong (i think its burning oil). When it does this, I check and there are always dark stains surrounding the oil cap. Is it possible that my oil cap may not be sealing completley and I am having oil leak out on to the engine? If this is the case, does anyone know where I can pick up a new cap? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Either the oil cap seal is bad or the Vent box is clogged and pushing oil out of the cap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Apr 18 2005, 12:11 PM)Either the oil cap seal is bad or the Vent box is clogged and pushing oil out of the cap.
[snapback]6825[/snapback]​

Most likely both, really. Don't fix it by just replacing the seal (which is a maintainance item, change every few years), first make absolutely sure that the PCV system is not blocked.

Snorri H.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
One way of helping to test for cloggage is to remove the oil cap with the car running and see if alot of pressure pushes the cap off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts