Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 v70xc randomly coughs and studders while driving. Strangely this happens more often in the afternoon than morning. The ETS light occasionally comes on but then turns off. I have taken it to a VOLVO dealer and to a local shop which specializes in VOLVO. The dealer said they saw a stored code for the Electronic Throttle System and suggested that I replace it immediately as when it goes out the car will immediately die and will require a tow. The other shop could not confirm an ETS problem and did not think it would cause such a drastic breakdown but rather decrease performance. They recommended that I replace the o2 sensor (which both shops told me was bad - why does that keep happening?) and wait to see if that resolved the ETS problem. The problem continues. The ETS repair is quite costly and I am hesitant to do it without a confirmed diagnosis. Any ideas? Also, does anyone know if this will cause my car to suddenly be dead on the side of the road?
Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would replace the o2 sensors.If the ETM goes bad sometimes they wil leave you stranded and other times they will drive crappy.I would start by having the ETM cleaned and then take it from there.Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to cars, but recently had the same sputtering, pausing, etc. I thought it might be something in the fuel line and hoped to get through it. The ETS and check engine lights came on and off from time to time, and the problem sort of came and went, so I was hoping it might resolve itself. Until last night when I just pretty much completely lost any speed and limped home off the interestate at about 20 miles per hour. The car did not completely die, but I was fortunate to be about 1/2 mile from my exit and only a mile or so from home. Fortunately traffic was light and I didn't have my kids with me, but it was not fun and, as I say, I was lucky to be close to home at that point. I don't know if it might completely die or not.

I expect this is going to cost about $1000 to replace this thing from what I've read, and its a lousy Christmas gift, but I would strongly recommend not waiting around for what happened to me last night.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble.With out sounding like to much of a jerk.Let lesson be learned when the light comes on its for a reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts