Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Experts - so this high school dropout mechanic replaces my ac evaporator on my 1996 850 R, and after lots of trouble the dash is finally back but the right side (passenger, where he worked on) is totally confused both ac and heat -wise. The electronic control system is fine, I presume, after I put in another one purchased on ebay, and so I suspect he messed up the various adjustments on the motors/sensors. I am not thrilled spending a grand or so at the volvo dealer, and have a friend who can read codes (used to flash the two lights upon starting but no more - just does not work with warm air coming from the right side vents and cold from the left). The garage has the CDs for the car and can print me anything I want - so what should I attempt to do?
Thank you experts in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
This comes from a non-expert.

But if the mechanic messed up your system, you should ask him to re-do it again. It would be his responsibility to put things back together and properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are totally right, but I have zero confidence and thus the question - assuming that I am a bit technically oriented and perhaps understand these issues better than him. He will be paying for it, anyway - I have lots of exhaust systems to be replaced in the salty winter weather in Cleveland...

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Maybe there is a motor unplugged.
I would make them look at it and if they can't fix it make them take it to the dealer.And make them pay for it.

Does the temp change at all?
What was the codes that were stored?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, TECH

I will get the codes, and yes, the temperature is coldest on the driver left vent to warmest on the passenger right vent, with clear distinction of having AC on driver side (even the left center vent) and no AC on the passenger side. As I recall, it was the opposite in the winter and the passenger just froze to death.

Can I get to the motor heads, position sensors, etc. w/o taking everything off (I read the dreaded ac evaporator notes...)?

Thank you!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Some you can get to by just removing the glovebox insert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts