Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings again,
My little 122 had generator and voltage regulator replaced in January '05 (before I bought it), and since I have had it, has had battery discharging, and not re-charging. On the 18th, we jumped and had mechanic test-- battery good, but problems with the charging system. He checked connections, found some corrosion, cleaned, and we seemed to be good. Car sat for a week-- fired right up tonight--and then, as we drove it, the lights got dimmer, and it appeared charge was diminishing, and it would start imtermitently. Can it be faulty parts-- or connections..or what do you think?

I will take it back down on Monday...but would like to be armed with some knowledge..
Melinda

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would double check the wiring.If all is good the the alternator is most likely bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Tech, too.

That was my plan. II think we may need to send the part back to the mechanic who installed it-- seems it should last longet than 7 months...I would expect a free replacement. Alternator is the same as generator, correct?
md

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tech-- You were right--the Generator is bad (only outputting 8 amps..) we are now in the process of seeing if the warranty will he available (or another generator available...)
MDutton

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a similar problem with my 67 122 S, except when it gets warm some times it won't start but if I jump across the solenoid on top of the starter with a screw driver it starts and sometimes it doesn't. The switch seems to be making, the battery charges from alt when running, around 13 VDC. Is there a relay in the circuit somewhere? Or could it be the voltage regulater. And if it is should I change the Alt with the Regulater? This seems to only occur when the car is warm and causes me to get stuck out from time to time. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts