Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electrical problem involving the bulb indicator light on the dash board.

Symptoms:

- Turn on headlights and bulb indicator light goes on.
- Turn on high beams and it *sometimes* it goes off.
- Turn on the right turning signal and the bulb indicator light will flash on and off alternating with the right turn signal.
- Turn on the left turning signal and it has no effect on the bulb indicator light.
- When the lights are on, the bulb indicator light is on 95% of the time. If it is off and I hit the brakes, it goes on. Take my foot off the brakes and it goes off.
- If the lights are on and the bulb is off, I also found it would react to just altering my speed, i.e. letting up on the gas or giving the car more gas would turn it on. Take my foot off the gas or go back to a steady gas flow and it would go back off.

I checked all the lights; they all work. So it certainly seems like an electrical problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how a lay person might be able to diagnose/fix it, or is this something best left to a mechanic?

Is the problem something simple or an indication of a more major problem?

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check all connections at taillights for dirty connections and tightness.Also if you have 2 diffrent brand bulbs it could sometimes make the light act funny.

G

·
I have had this problem and the tail light cluster has been the culprit. On the wagon you need to surgically amputate your little finger up to the wrist to get at the bulbs. But once out check for corrosion of the contacts and good bulbs, then try to re-insert. There are guides of different widths to "help" line the things up. Hope your sedan has easier access.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I agree the wagons suck to replace the bulbs on.The sedans are a breeze to replace the bulbs on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya

It says in the Haynes manual that the bulb failure sensor is a special kind of relay, involving the current flowing equally in two small coils.

I wonder if one of the bulbs is drawing more current than the other, and unbalancing the sensor? Might be worth cleaning all connections and getting a pair of bulbs of the same make.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE(John775 @ Nov 29 2004, 12:28 PM)Hiya

It says in the Haynes manual that the bulb failure sensor is a special kind of relay, involving the current flowing equally in two small coils.

I wonder if one of the bulbs is drawing more current than the other, and unbalancing the sensor? Might be worth cleaning all connections and getting a pair of bulbs of the same make.

Hope that helps.
[snapback]1372[/snapback]​

The most common problem with bulb indicator lights are going to be the bulbs themselves, yet the bulb failure sensor has had its share of problems that are caused by the solder joints seperating on the printed circut board. These are usually in the center of the sensor tree and can sometimes be resoldered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I just had this problem and took the car to the dealer. The problem was that I had two different types of bulbs on each side (left & right) of the car. I replaced both and the indicator light went out. Hope this helps !

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(jdbs3 @ Nov 16 2004, 06:00 PM)I have an electrical problem involving the bulb indicator light on the dash board.

Symptoms:

- Turn on headlights and bulb indicator light goes on.
- Turn on high beams and it *sometimes* it goes off.
- Turn on the right turning signal and the bulb indicator light will flash on and off alternating with the right turn signal.
- Turn on the left turning signal and it has no effect on the bulb indicator light.
- When the lights are on, the bulb indicator light is on 95% of the time. If it is off and I hit the brakes, it goes on. Take my foot off the brakes and it goes off.
- If the lights are on and the bulb is off, I also found it would react to just altering my speed, i.e. letting up on the gas or giving the car more gas would turn it on. Take my foot off the gas or go back to a steady gas flow and it would go back off.

I checked all the lights; they all work. So it certainly seems like an electrical problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how a lay person might be able to diagnose/fix it, or is this something best left to a mechanic?

Is the problem something simple or an indication of a more major problem?

Thanks!
[snapback]1161[/snapback]​

1 - 9 of 9 Posts