Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying an electrical impact wrench to replace timing belts since I don't have strength to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt by hands. The processes are well explained at an internet site. Is a 240 lb-ft torque impact wrench enough to unlock the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Do I have to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt (or, simply replace by removing a small cover located just below the pulley? Is it worth to replace camshaft and crankshaft seals if no oil leaks? Any helps?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The impact should be enough but you don't really need to remove the big nut.You need to remove the 4 13mm bolts holding the outer pulley on.When you do the timing belt make sure you buy the special tool to hold the cam pulleys.If not you may have a check engine light or be out of time.They have variable valve timing and if you dont hold the pulleys it will move.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech,
Do you have any ideas how much the special tools (to hold intake/exhaust cam shafts) cost? I used to bollow a sepentine belt tool from Autozone. Do you have any ideas where I can lend this tool (I don't want to spend money to replace just one VVT engine). Your information is very useful. Thanks again.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can see if autozone loans them out.If they dont you may have to find a tool guy.I think they are about $70.00.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking about replacing a water pump while changing the timing belt. I think changing a water pump first makes a sense to me (due to no water pump dirt stains on a new timing belt and no timing changing). What do you think about this?

BTW, do I have to remove all spark plugs to easily rotate crank shaft pully to fix TDC position? I can not image I can rotate the crank shaft pully in clockwise direction by hands. Is it really possible rotate the crank shaft pully by hands?
Thanks in advance.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I havent seen many waterpumps leak on these but you can replace it.If you use a half inch ratchet or breaker bar with the socket you can turn the engine over with out removing the plugs.I do that all the time.I use a 1 1/4 socket I think in metric it is 34 or 35.
Good luck

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should have a mechanical tensioner which is kind of a pain in the but to adjust.The hydraulic are the easiest to work with.But i think yours is mechanical.Do you have instructions on adjusting the mechanical adjuster?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tech,
I don't have any instructions for the mechanical tensioner. Can you give me instructions to adjust the mechanical tensioner?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think getting an air impact wrench is cheaper and a better deal than buying an electrical impact wrench. I recently bought a used Hitachi EC119 air compressor around $86 at EBay auction. The small and beautiful Hitachi runs really quieter than an oiless compressor borrowed from a neighbor. I put this small one in my garage without taking too much space (It took a bottom cross-section space of one plastic garbage can) and I can move around this 64lb weight compressor easily. I ordered a new genuine oil dipstick, air filter element, and oil drain plug all less than $5. I was so happy when I got this one. I actually saw this compressor at a local LOWE store ($279+plus Tax) before bidding it.

I also bought a good used brand name Chicago Pneumatic CP 734H impact wrench $25 from an EBay auction. I was able to remove a crankshaft bolt (99 Mercury Villager) and my 99 S80 crankshaft nut in seconds. Amazingly it was made in Japan. You know a lot of big brand name air tools are made in China these days. Now, I got a tire inflation gauge, air blower, impact sockets, and am looking for a good used air ratchet. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I usually do a bump start using a ratchet/socket to remove a crankshaft bolt. If the S80 is like most cars i've worked on, you simply:

-disconnect ignition system so car WONT start (ie ignition module)

-place socket/big ratchet over crankshaft pully bolt

-turn ratchet clockwise by hand til it stops on secure part of car like the frame
(you can slide a heavy duty pipe over ratchet if its too short to reach frame)

-get in car, take a deep breath, and turn key to start for just a split second

-hopefully you hear a bang as the bolt is broken free

-scares the **** outta you but works every time

Never did this on an S80 though so anyone please feel free to correct me, add comments, steps, etc.

Oh and good news. I just save hundreds by switching to Geiko

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I wouldn't use this method on the S80. Not very safe on this car. Might bend the control arm or other parts. On a Rear wheel drive it isn't that bad because you can have the breaker bar sitting on the ground. The S80 there is alot of parts in the way before the ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts