Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 02 S60 from my local volvo dealer. I just started noticing a metalic noise coming from the driver side wheel at 20mph* . You can only hear the noise inside. Could be the drivetrain. Any Ideas? 1 more ? Any one put speakers in the rear deck? The rear door speakers sound like crap.

Thanks
Tom

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sounds almost like a bad wheel bearing.Take it to the dealership and have either the shop foreman or the service manager drive with you and show them the noise so they can fix it properly.Unless you are out on milage it should still be under warranty.You can also complain about the sound from the speakers if they rattle or crack they will replace them.Does the rear deck already have them?I though all of them came with deck speakers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give them a call. It is still under warranty but wouldnt they catch it when they did the state inspection? There are no speakers on the rear deck , but there are cut outs with wire harnesses.

Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No they may not have caught it during inspection.Im not sure how it works there but if they drive the cars on those whell like things called a dyno.There is a lot of noise while driving on them.The wheel bearing could easily be missed.I think the speakers that go in the rear deck are like 5 or 6 inches speakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found and joined the forum, then saw this post.
My 93 850 had a noise that occurred around 20mph just as you describe. It happened once per start-up, when the car passed the 20mph barrier. Dealer service indicated that it was part of a braking system test. My 04 S60 does the same thing. Do you hear it once per start-up or more often?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(lmewyltw @ Feb 1 2005, 11:56 AM)Just found and joined the forum, then saw this post.
My 93 850 had a noise that occurred around 20mph just as you describe. It happened once per start-up, when the car passed the 20mph barrier. Dealer service indicated that it was part of a braking system test. My 04 S60 does the same thing. Do you hear it once per start-up or more often?
[snapback]2880[/snapback]​

Good point could be the ABS self test as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is constant but it is less faint at higher speeds. At 40mph it is the loudest gets even louder going into a right turn. I am bringing into the shop this friday. now i have noticed my shift relay is real loud when i apply the brakes to shift it into drive. They told me it was normal but i just started to notice it. Is it normal to feel and hear the shift relay? Thanks Tom

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes that shift lock noise is normal.It is the solenoid releasing to allow you to shift.If you listen closely when slowing down you will hear a noise like that when you hit about 5mph as well.That solenoid stops you from being able to put it in reverse while driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK , I brought the car in on friday. They told me it wasnt a bad wheel bearing but, the mechanic did here a noise up front . The front end was a little out of alingment and the front hubs where full of rust. The car is still making the noise. I think it could just be wheel noise because when i am on different grades of ashpalt it stops making that noise or it is louder. I might go change the tires soon. They are the original michelins. Any suggestions?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I my self like the michelins.Here at the dealer we used to work at they also used a tire called KUHMO.They are a pretty good tire almost compares to the michelin and about half the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts