Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Can anyone help me with this one?

Yesterday i took my 2001 V70 T5 to a tire change (later learned that during the tire change they had the car with the key on the ignition and the geartronic in "N"). Nevertheless i was able to drive the car home (10 minutes drive) with the A/C on. Went to launch and when i came back the engine didn't start (it makes a "strange" noise when i try to start the car and sometimes the front lights turn on and a "abs malfunction" message appears). I thought it was the battery so i recharged it. Did a small drive (20 minutes) and everything went allright. But after turning off the car i was again unable to start it!!! The battery has one month and was installed by Volvo (they said that my other battery was malfunctioning; this is another long story: they called my car because the radiator fan needed to by replaced. After that i went on vacation and...guess what did brake??? The BRAND NEW radiator fan!!!).

Can the new battery be bad or was it something during the tire change (the abs sensors, maybe?)?

Thank you.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The Alternator might be bad.If you charged it and drove it then it went back to messing up it might be the alternator not recharging the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a mechanic check the alternator and ho told me that it was ok.

Can you tell me if it's usual that the car turns the headlights on when i try to start the engine?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The lights come on with the ignition switch.Daytime running lights.

If the battery and alternator is good then look at the starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow i'm taking the car to the dealership so that they can check what's happening. It's just a little frustating that the last 2 times it was at the dealership a few weeks later something that was "fixed" brakes!

Tech, my car has no "daylight function".

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Then it must be disabled.I haven't seen a car yet that didn't have them.They might just be disabled.

If the dealer just fixed it and it messed up again it should be free because they didn't fix it properly yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the car yesterday and everything is working fine. It was a faulty battery.

Yes, they fixed it free of charge (i wasn't even considering any other possibility!!!).

Tomorrow i'am going to Braganca (a trip about 500Kms, to the north of Portugal) and let's hope nothing wrong happens with the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts