Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a driver's licence. I've been borrowing my dad's Volvo S60 quite alot. And I've been speeding a bit ...

Now today dad tells me that I've been driving too fast and he can tell because the car has some kind of computer that measures these things?

Is it possible?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes that is possible.It should be in the setting in the speedo cluster on the left hand side.Where it tell you AVG MPG it also tells you average speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 21 2005, 07:04 PM)Yes that is possible.It should be in the setting in the speedo cluster on the left hand side.Where it tell you AVG MPG it also tells you average speed.
[snapback]3765[/snapback]​

It actually tells me AVG mp/h and average mp/litre ... So I figure he's just using this to estimate my driving..

Or is there some extra function you can access that shows top speed and such? Cause that would be a killer

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
See if there is a little turn wheel on the turnsignal.If there is thats how he knows it changes the screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 22 2005, 03:15 AM)See if there is a little turn wheel on the turnsignal.If there is thats how he knows it changes the screen.
[snapback]3793[/snapback]​

Er .. sorry english is'nt my first language so I would'nt know what a turnsignal is?

But I suppose your talking about the stick on the left side of the wheel .. and yes .. there is a wheel you can turn on it that changes the screen .. and there is also a button that says "reset" and then there is a button on the end of the stick that changes the screen to see "messages" ...

I've been trying to look push the buttons .. but all I can see is Average mp/h and average mp/litre .. I suppose this is how he knows I'm driving fast because he must have noticed the average mp/litre has gone up and this indicates high revs .. and of course high speeds ..

But I would like to make sure that there's nothing else he can see .. like top speed and well .. anything else really

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most of the computer there is a hidden part of the computer that the dealer can get into to see speed and stuff like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 22 2005, 08:34 PM)Most of the computer there is a hidden part of the computer that the dealer can get into to see speed and stuff like that.
[snapback]3829[/snapback]​

That is what I was afraid of!! How do I access it?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can't only the dealer can.You need a PC based fro the Volvo system to access it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 22 2005, 11:20 PM)You can't only the dealer can.You need a PC based fro the Volvo system to access it.
[snapback]3855[/snapback]​

Then I think it's safe to say that dad does not know about this?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Could be he just might be trying to scare you.Just BE CAREFUL CARS ARE DANGEROUS.I know I have been there done that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i dont think your dad can find out how fast you are actually goin, he can only estimate ave mpg and such.....how fast were u going?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
There are companies that sell GPS/navigation based units that have the ability to know your speed and where/when you were.

Also, most (if not all) companies have "black boxes" that record driving data for a certain amount of time. If one knows how to download that info....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Listen Testo...
You´ll be amazed on how easy is to have a major crash being a new driver.
All those hormones streaming wildly in your veins are not going to make you drive better. Only several years of experience behind the wheel will do.
Meanwhile, try not to speed everytime you get your dad´s car because you may get hurt or even kill yourself.
Bear in mind that you don´t have yet aquired the skill level needed to push a car like your dad´s to it´s limit.
Go step by step and you will enjoy many years of driving.
Don´t be a part of statistics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, can't believe I am seeing this thread again, two years after posting it! I was just coincidentally reading this forum and see this thread, which seemed oddly familiar!

Anyway, thanks for the friendly advice 850Rarg. I am two years older now and have wisened considerably since posting this thread two years ago! I drive much more maturely, and almost never do anything crazy. I can also proudly proclaimed that I have made it through 2 years and 3 months without any crash, or even talking to a police officer on the road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry. Didn´t pay attention on the date. I´m glad you survived your first encounter with speed.
Reading over my post, I have to apologize about my rudeness.
Just take it from a former teenage crasher that is 41 now.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
HEAR YE HEAR YE
This post is exactly the example of the type I wanted deleted about twelve months ago.

For reasons beyond my belief, everybody else thought otherwise and considered such posts to be the inspired writing of luminaries and visionaries.

It took twelve months to prove my point!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE(Auckland @ Feb 19 2007, 09:33 PM)
HEAR YE HEAR YE
This post is exactly the example of the type I wanted deleted about twelve months ago.

For reasons beyond my belief, everybody else thought otherwise and considered such posts to be the inspired writing of luminaries and visionaries.

It took twelve months to prove my point!!

[snapback]51457[/snapback]​

In fact there were twenty four months. He is a fast learner anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts