Volvo Owners Forum banner

Dipped Beam failure

89K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  silverknighttemplar 
#1 ·
We have had an intermittent problem with the low beam lights going out and a message "Bulb Failure...Dipped Beam" Then we will run with the brights on for a while (maybe a couple of days) and lights return to normal. Anyone had any issues like this?

#5 ·
I just experienced the same problem and you'd hit a bump and they would come back on. The dealer said it is a bad CEM which costs $450 and $350 to install. This sounds way over the top. Any help on this one. I don't think other drivers will appreciate the high beams on all the time.

#6 ·
Unfortunitly that is the problem and there is not anything you can do but replace the parts.From the heat it melts the CEM and then the problems start.You can try to clean the contacts and make it last a little longer.If you are intrested let me know and I will explain how to get the CEM out.

#9 ·
This may or may not help - but it's cheap - I must have replaced around 4 bulbs before I discovered that the shunt, which is a littly 2 x 2 black square with three legs, which fits into the drivers side fuse/relay connector board, had a bad connection, and was blacking up with electric sparking I presume - anyway, removed it, cleaned it up and reseated it and problem goes away for about 5000 miles when I have to do it again!

#10 ·
Thanks to all for posting to this issue. I am also having the same problem with my 2001 Volvo S60. The message appears "BULB FAILURE DIPPED BEAM." Both low beams go out at the same time. Then several days later, after hitting a few bumps I assume, the lights suddenly work again. A few days later, the lights go out again with the same message. I recently took the car to the dealer to have something else fixed (recall on the electric cooling fan, electronic throttle module, and software upgrade). The Volvo dealer repair professional first thought it was as simple as replacing the bulbs. I mentioned that the bulbs work fine. He then guessed that the shunt or computer needs to be replaced.

How can I find the shunt or the "computer" to see if there is a bad connection? He mentioned that it is under the dash board but I have no idea how to start removing the dash board. Please help!

How much should it cost to repair or replace this problem?

#11 ·
Well, I found the answer to the BULB FAILURE DIPPED BEAM problem. I took my S60 2001 Volvo to the dealer for service. They found that the "resistor" was burned out. It was a black plastic piece that looks like a giant fuse of about 3 inches long by 2 inches high and almost as thin as a flat fuse. The resistor is about 7 bucks from Volvo. There were black 'burn' marks on one of the teeth. There are about 4 or 5 teeth unlike a fuse which only has two. I can't remember exactly what it look slike because the mechanic on duty only showed my the piece for a brief moment. So I spent 99 dollars for the diagnostic work and labor plus the cost of the resistor (~$6.50).

Based on the other responses, some of you probably have the same problem as I had. I think the "resistor" may also be called the "shunt" to the CEM but I am not certain. Likely you could replace this yourself and save some money.

#14 ·
QUOTE(Integrexman @ Sep 29 2006, 03:30 AM)I have the same problem with the low beams on my 2001 v70. could someone tell me were this resistor/shunt is?
[snapback]42089[/snapback]​

Could someone please help me/us with where to locate this resistor/shunt is placed in the car? Thanks for all help!

#16 ·
The shunts are on an electronic module underneath the drivers side dash - nearest to the door - you have to lie half in and half out the car to get at it until you know where to put your fingers! - there are a few relays and other shunts on there, but if you've got the burnt problem, it stands out a mile (take a torch with you the first time)

#20 ·
I have been having the same problem, " dipped bulb failure". Replaced bulb, no workee, tested for power and no 12v. I then pulled out all 3 of the "shunts" or "fuses" which all had 5 prongs, tested them for continuity and they were all good. Also no obvious arcing.
Anyone know if there is a relay which I can test and which one in the group it is. I am assuming it is not a relay though as only one light is out, you would think they would run both low beams off of one relay would they not?
My car is a 2001 XC70 which until this has been problem free. I will try running with high beams, someone seemed to think this helped.
Thanks.

#22 ·
I have a Volvo XC-90, 2004, Manual, 2.4 AWD, 75k Miles.
I'm getting the error message every so often (specially when it's below freezing):

[Bulb Failure Dipped Beam]

...and the right (when facing the car's front end from the outside) dipped light doesn't turn on.
After playing with the on/off switch a couple of times, it sometimes comes on... (so I've deducted that the bulb is obviously not defective)

I'm presuming it's a relay/resistor/shunt that is getting weak, and needs either replacing or re-seating or cleaning.

Anyone knows where I could locate that Relay/Shunt/Resistor on a Right-hand drive XC-90 ?

I don't presume it's the same for the Left and Right dipped beam, is it ?

#23 ·
Jeff Cooper's suggestion with the arc'd contact tails of the fuse, was exactly right as stated above to my problem with the low beam headlights. As a matter of fact, the individual sold the volvo i've got really cheap because he was having the problem with the headlights. When I got the car, the brights were aimed down to be used as dims cuz the guy didn't take the time to have it checked. Simple solution for under $10.

#24 ·
I have been having this problem for 3 years now. Approximatly every 12 months the fault comes on intermittently then stays on all together. Every time the dealer has just replaced the shunt. The problem has now reared its ugly head once more only this time the was no intermittent fault first. " Bulb failure dipped beam" and no head lights

I have done the usual, bulbs / fuses, but this time i replaced the shunt myself. £3.00 from the dealer. I have just refitted it but the problem still persists. Does anyone know if the fault code needs clearing or anything before the lights come back on??

#29 ·
I have been having this problem for 3 years now. Approximatly every 12 months the fault comes on intermittently then stays on all together. Every time the dealer has just replaced the shunt. The problem has now reared its ugly head once more only this time the was no intermittent fault first. " Bulb failure dipped beam" and no head lights

I have done the usual, bulbs / fuses, but this time i replaced the shunt myself. £3.00 from the dealer. I have just refitted it but the problem still persists. Does anyone know if the fault code needs clearing or anything before the lights come back on??
put resistor on low beam line both sides amazon

#25 ·
Hi, I've been getting this "bulb failure dipped beam" error message, and I found the shunts that are supposed to be the problem, but they all seemed fine. I unplugged and checked the only three I saw. Does anyone know which one is supposed to be bad when one gets the dipped-beam message?

Thanks

#26 ·
QUOTE (pdunn @ Jul 10 2007, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been having the same problem, " dipped bulb failure". Replaced bulb, no workee, tested for power and no 12v. I then pulled out all 3 of the "shunts" or "fuses" which all had 5 prongs, tested them for continuity and they were all good. Also no obvious arcing.
Anyone know if there is a relay which I can test and which one in the group it is. I am assuming it is not a relay though as only one light is out, you would think they would run both low beams off of one relay would they not?
My car is a 2001 XC70 which until this has been problem free. I will try running with high beams, someone seemed to think this helped.
Thanks.

having same issue with my 99 S80, what was your soution?