Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anyone knows if the 740 87 model had diff lock as standard like the newer 940 have?
and what hp does the 740 turbo have original? is it chip-able?
thanks
robert

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't think so as far as the Diff.A buddy of mine changed his out from a 940 to his 740.The had to install the diff cover from the 940 for it to work properly.

There really isn't a chip as far as I know for them.You can turn the boost up some and do other things to them and make them fast.

A buddy of mine had a stock engine with a bigger turbo and nitrous in a 740 sedan.He removed alot of the interior and ran 12.5 in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
160 Posts
RER HP for 740/87
In or around 156-160 HP ? Is it turbo or non-turbo? Does it have an electronc supercharger? All these add to the HP. Mine is an 89w/turboand supercharger and increases HP to 225. Great when pulling my RV

Hope this gives you some idea.

Corny

·
Registered
162 Posts
A limited slip rear was an option on the 87. The Factory rating was 160 HP. There was a optional upgrade known as a Turbo Plus Kit which raised the power up to 180 HP. It does not have a easily chip-able ECM but it can be easily modified to 200 to 250 HP. The 87 was unfortunately fitted with the so called K Block B230FT.
It had smaller journals and rods than the early B21 or B23 motors. The best engine for mods is either the B23 from 84-85 or the 93-95 B230FT. If you interested in modifying your car you may want to head over to www.Turbobricks.org
These guys are the best source for information on modifying the 700 series.

Here is a link to an article on modifying the 700's to wet your appetite
Staged 700 mods

1 - 4 of 4 Posts