Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I know that after many years of driving, carbon will build up at certain areas in the engine. I drive a 1984 Volvo 240GL, and I have a strong feeling that my engine has accumulated a lot of carbon build up. How can I do the de-carbonising? How is it done? How much will it cost? Does anyone know who can do it? Any recommendations? Thank you.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
the quick test to see if it is carbonised [carbonated???] is a compression gauge - just get the wife to turn engine over with no plugs and no lead to coil as you test pressure one by one

generally a "decoke and valve grind" is done far less frequently if at all compared to 30 plus years ago when it was an annual job with dirty old fuel we used to use then

it is a job best left to a volvo dealer but far easier for 4 cyl than a V engine

I hope to never have to do mine but with just 100,000 km on new engine it did "run on" recently - that is caused by carbon glowing red hot and acting as a spark plug for a second or so after you turn off

that is a sign of coke as well as pinging - but compression test will tell you that

1 - 2 of 2 Posts