Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the warning lights on my dashboard (Brake, ABS, Check Engine, Upshift Arrow) have been intermitently going on and off. When this happens the car goes into "creep home" mode, which is very frustrating and dangerous. My local dealer replaced the speed sensor, but this didn't solve the problem. I'm afraid this is some sort of major electrical system problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
While the car is running try playing with the ignition switch.Some times the electrical part of the switch goes bad.When it does it will cause that problem.When playing with the switch see if any lights come on then go off if they do its bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a similar problem which after several service visits and the replacement of the main engine sensor and TRACS ABS sensor. The TRACs sensor was the real issue - once this was replaced the engine lights and the other lights switched off and the car engine and drive has been perfroming properly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had this same problem off and on for about a year. My service garage has tried replacing the throttle position sensor 3 times. What is it about the electrical system integrity? Also, recently the power locks are not working properly. When you unlock with remote only the driver door unlocks. When you lock, all locks will lock except the hatch. If the hatch was locked it will unlock. The power window button on my driver door let out a puff of smoke the other day and the driver side window would not go down. The rear windshield wash pump stop working. I have replaced the mass air sensor which is not a cheap part. I am going with some Japanese engineering next time. This car, 1998 XC70 AWD wagon, can drive nice if you catch it on a good day. But these good days are becoming farther and farther apart. Well, I have vented enough. Eric

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(mikhailarey @ Jun 13 2005, 09:37 PM)I have had this same problem off and on for about a year. My service garage has tried replacing the throttle position sensor 3 times. What is it about the electrical system integrity? Also, recently the power locks are not working properly. When you unlock with remote only the driver door unlocks. When you lock, all locks will lock except the hatch. If the hatch was locked it will unlock. The power window button on my driver door let out a puff of smoke the other day and the driver side window would not go down. The rear windshield wash pump stop working. I have replaced the mass air sensor which is not a cheap part. I am going with some Japanese engineering next time. This car, 1998 XC70 AWD wagon, can drive nice if you catch it on a good day. But these good days are becoming farther and farther apart. Well, I have vented enough. Eric
[snapback]9600[/snapback]​

Have them also check the ABS module and the PNP switch(Park nuetral position switch)That will cause the trans arrow to light up and the car to start off in 3rd gear.
Unless you changed the programming the remote should only unlock the drivers door when you press it once and then unlock the other one when you press it twice.Sounds like a bad hatch lock motor.

The master window switch went bad which is pretty common on these cars.I would change it soon I have seen them almost catch on fire and melt the wiring to the switch.

Can you hear the rear washer motor running?
They have a filter in the back of the car that gets clogged sometimes.If it is left clogged to long it will burn the motor up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My service garage sent my car to a Volvo dealer up the road that they work with. It turned out that the connection to the throttle position sensor had a bent pin and catch was not locking into place. This explained why it was worse in warm weather, due to expasnsion. The service garage could get the errors by jiggling the sensor. Repaired/replace the connector and the car has been driving great ever since.

I am replacing the main switch for the power windows and am working on the other problems myself in my spare time. Thinks for listening to me. Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts