Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here Hi to all
I have a 1995 850 and the left cv joint is going bad. How hard is it to replace ?

Thanks Fish

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Your better off buying a rebuilt Axle.They really arent that bad to change unless you live some where that is prone to rust.Then it might give you a hard time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
Where is the best place to get a rebuilt axle
Does anyone have instructions ?

Thanks for all help
Fish

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check your Phone book and see if you can find a CV rebuilding place in your area.
I don't have any instructions on paper I just lknow how to do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 28 2005, 12:51 PM)Check your Phone book and see if you can find a CV rebuilding place in your area.
I don't have any instructions on paper I just lknow how to do it.
[snapback]4182[/snapback]​

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long can I run it with the bad cv joint, the car shakes sometimes but not all the time. I ordered a rebuild axle, but it will take a couple of days to get here

Thanks Fish

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more thing do cv joints leak oil ? I have two or three half dollar size drops of oil on the garage floor each time I drive the car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Help part of the cv joint is still in the trans. How do i get it out ????? It looks like it a press fit

Fish

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You must be talking about on the drivers side(left) of the car.You need to get a big screwdriver or a long jack handle.There is a clip that locks when the axle is installed.You need to work it out.If it is on the other side you did remove the 2 screws correct?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it's the drivers side. I think I see the clip your talking about on the new axle/ cv joint, It on the end at the splines
, but how do I get to it on the old ( the one in the car) cv joint.

My wife is going to kill me soon, for taking on this project.

Help Fish

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I always use a big pry bar.Stick it between the back side of the joint and the transmission.Then pry back and forth and it SHOULD pop out.Sometimes they can be stubborn but it will come out.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is just spring loaded and goes into a slot in the trans.you don't need to get to it.Just pry the joint out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts