Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As many of you know, I drive a 1984 Volvo 240GL (Auto) ... fitted with a B200E engine and a Pierburg 175 CD carb. All this while, I have been using W7DC spark plugs. But I checked the specs for this particular engine (B200E) over the internet and found that the correct plugs that I should use is the W6DC. Should I change to the W6DC? Or will there be no difference if I continue using the W7DC plugs? Any advice on this matter?
Thanks and regards.

Mark

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
very interesting as I am about to replace my plugs and I am trying to remember a similar conversation I had at previous change

Is that a Champion part number?

anyway my shop sells NGK plugs and the ones that came out [supplied by my previous repair garage] were BP7EF S and the ones I put in were same number but with a 6 instead of 7

I seem to remember bloke at shop saying the 6 was a "cooler" plug, so it looks like I took his advice [and apparently backed up by parts catalog] and installed the 6

so looks like you have reminded me to go spend $24 for six new plugs

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
OK I just got new plugs and yes I looked in Bosch catalog and I can see you are quoting Bosch, but shop dont have that in stock

but for NGK they now have as a six pack [but not beer] for $20, but with 1.3 on the end - all I have to do is reset gap from 1.3 to whatever it says in volvo book

I even bought a torque wrench for $15 - may as well screw em in at correct setting, espec for getting em out later

I only just realised that this wrench was exactly same type as one I had over 20 years ago when I was married and that somehow the ex wife kept it - now what would she want with a torque wrench

for sure she busted my balls in the property settlement but she did that via a lawyer and not a torque wrench

but if I had not been reverted to poverty by lawyer I would still be driving an E Type and never would have discovered the joy of an old volvo

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
for sure she busted my balls in the property settlement but she did that via a lawyer and not a torque wrench

My design artist told me many years ago:

If it flies

If it floats

If it copulates (read fxxks)

RENT IT

That was virtually the best advice anybody gave me for a long time

·
Registered
34 Posts
A few days earlier, I took out the spark plugs on my 1991 240 GLT to take a look and discovered that they are W7DC plugs. Like your car, according to the specs, I should be using W6DC instead (B230E engine with K Jetronic mechanical injection system). Unfortunately last weekend when I went to an auto-parts shop and asked for a W6DC bosch plug, they had none. They only stock W7 and W8 plugs.

I wonder if it is bad for the car if I continue using these W7DC plugs. I am asking because I did not see anyone reply the original question in this thread.

Also, if I cant find these elusive W6DC plugs, does anyone know of good alternative spark plugs (any reliable brand will do) that I can use for my car?

·
Registered
229 Posts
if you drive short distances temp range should be 6, if warmer climate (normal driving 10+ miles trips) the 7, if long distances you can do 8, but i'd only recommend it if the 7's read rich. read your plugs, they'll tell you better then i can thousands of miles away, what you should be using.

·
Registered
160 Posts
you don't have to use Bosch plugs. Any name brand like NGKn or Split Fire etc. are just as good. look up these in catalogue and buy these. The various numbers are only heat ranges. Find a middle of the road heat range and go with it. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts