Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Volvo 850 GLT Manual Tranny I purchased just months ago after my 740 Turbo died... :-(

I am having an issue with my coolent levels. So far no damage has be done since I've been keeping a close eye on it. I keep on having to add fluid every two weeks to my resivoir. I have not found any real leaks in my system, aside from taking the housing and radiator out and testing it. Should I try and flush out my radiator and coolant system? What are peoples opinions on leak stopper/cleaner products? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Hmmmm.... Interesting. How does the expansion tank look like? Is it dirty or muddy? Is it mixed in oil or coolant-clear...

You may want to just check the connections of the hoses. They need really good tightening - or else, the heat and pressure will cause them to sip-out via the leaky connections. Check your hoses as well, or if you're the upgrading type, use silicone ones.
Add colour to the engine bay.

Have you tried flushing? Since you just got the car, you may want to try that out as well, though the purpose of flushing is to cleanse the inner parts, and not to stop leakage.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the advice. The coolant doesn't appear to be muddy or mixed and no obvious leaks. The only think that concerns me is every now and then I find a little coolant coming out of the little square hole underneath the "belt" air intake. I haven't even opened that yet, but I am assuming more electonics in the box on the passanger side of the vehicle. I think my plan of attack is going to remove the housing there and flush my system and see what I find... Thanks again

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It could be many things.Remove the timing belt cover and inspect the water pump.
Check the thermostat housing..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flushed system, refilled. Seems to be doing much better. One thing I fixed I don't know what it is.... Under the exhaust manifold, just aside from the oil filter was a connector, I assume for a sensor.. I won't speculate... had come loose. I just reconnected this, and have not driven it due to a tire I lost this morning. Anyone know what that connection was?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It might have been the nipple for draining the cooling system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was actually a two wire connection, which lead me to believe it was a tempature sensor of sorts... I thought for a second it might be an oxygen sensor, but figured it would probably be giving me an error code of sorts. *shrugs* see how she runs here, expecially once I get my rims on

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I also think it may be the O2 sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts