Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here but need some advice.

I am in the market for a new vehicle, and found what I believe to be the perfect car for me, after shopping at several different dealers.

I'm a first time buyer, and a full time college student so I want something reliable but not too expensive either.

Found a 1998 Volvo S-90 with 112,000 miles for a total (with tax) of $7,600. It includes leather/suede seating, moonroof/sunroof (?), CD changer, and the usual power options. It also has a custom roof rack which I'm not sure whether I will leave on or not. Color is Pearl White with a tan/beige interior.

Only noticible problems were interior. The hinge on the center console is loose but easily fixable. Also, the leather on the console and the front driver and passenger seats is showing signs of age. It is cracked, but not deeply, more like it is overdried. I assume I can use a leather restore kit and perhaps airbrush it slightly with the proper pigments?

Is there anything else in particular I should be looking for? The original owner took it to the Volvo dealer for all services so it is in excellent shape. Tires look newer, alloy wheels in great shape and such. Paint is immaculate and quite surprising for a vehicle of that age. Like I said the only issue is the leather is a bit cracked.

Any other advice? I hope to close on the vehicle loan either tommorrow or Friday or at the latest Monday, and drive off by early next week or sooner. Definately looking forward to the vehicle as it is simply beautiful!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. For what my two cents is worth to you-how did you work out that $7,600.00 was the market value of the car?

It is very easy to fall in love with a car-we all have at some stage of our lives.

I would suggest that you let him advertise the car for two weeks. If the car is still available after two weeks-it simply means that he is asking too much for the car.

If you are really astute, advertise the car specs yourself and see how many replies you get. If you get none-then you know that the price is beyond what the market will pay.

Remember that your car is now seven years old. It is ripe for some major money to be spent.

I know that both of my suggestions sound horrible-but at the moment, you are in the power position. You surrender that position when you hand the cheque over.

With my friends buying a car-I tell them to take the car to a couple of agents. Get a quote for all the mechanical/trim work/repairs etc from the agents. Give the seller their asking price less the cost of the quotes minus another $1,000.00 just to be on the safe side.

That way you protect your investment and position. You have objective evidence of the value of the car in its presentation.

Keep in touch

Cheers

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have it checked out by someone who knows Volvo's.
Then work on the price from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I checked Kelley Blue Book and for a comprable vehicle it listed the retail value as over $10,000, so I think price wise it is decent.

I'm actually thinking I am going to hold off on it for a week or so until I can decide on what to do. Like you said, Tech, it is an older vehicle and repairs could easily be forthcoming.

Thinking about it I made a list of what I'd like to/need to do with it in the near future:

Reupholster the front seats/console, including replacing loose console lid
Upgrade CD player, as it appears to be the originally factory installed system
Tint the windows would be a definate

Plus I'd probably have to give it a tune-up, check the brakes, and do minor repairs on it in that way. Transmission would probably not hold out more then a few years so that isn't too good either.

Thinking about the costs involved it may not be too great of a deal. I think I'm going to keep my eyes out for another Volvo, perhaps a year or two newer, but they won't be in that price range which is crucial.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Just remember if you want rear wheel drive 1998 was the last year for the rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Howdy - $0.02 from a recent (about a year ago) V90 (wagon) buyer.

1. Check for any signs of water damage around the sun roof and headliner. Water damage = problem > problem = $1000+ fix

2. Rear main seal. A dealer warned me of this and sure enough, the car I was about to buy needed the seal to be addressed. I'm sure the fix is not cheap.

3. Where do you live? As stated by others, this is the last of the rear wheel cars. Winter tires will be a must if you live in snow country.

4. Major service points come at every 70k. These car run an interferance belt. They must be replaced every 70K.

Other than that, the car rocks. It's fast & solid with all the features you could want.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
May want to shop around a bit longer. I bought this year a '97 S90 w/ all options with 80K miles for $7800. It had just had the timing belt done and was serviced at Volvo dealership on regular basis.

Good luck. Be patient.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just for reference and I know I paid $1,000 too much but I wanted the car.
I bought a 97 960 1 year ago with 66K miles on it for $10K. I probably could have gotten it for $9,000 but I wasn't taking a chance of losing it.
I looked for almost 6 months for a clean low mileage S90 or 960 sedan.
Nice low mileage wagons were plentiful but for some reason the sedans were all beat and had high miles. I got a car will all the service records and exceptional condition inside and out. Be patient and wait for the right car you'll be glad you did.

Edit: I did a quick Kelly Blue Book on the car and got a price of $6,010 which means it is priced a $1,000 over book. If the leather seats are cracking as you say I would look at the $6,000 level as far as price goes. Also go with what Tech recommends and have someone who knows Volvo's look at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a new s80 for my wife and need to sell my '98 s-90. I'm the first
and only owner. the car is white over beige, 94,000 miles, new kumbos 6mos ago.

The car is in great shape, runs smooth and has been maintiained by our local volvo
mechanic. It was one of last s 90's built and has the SE option, fancy stereo, suede leather accents, leather/wood steering wheel and fancy wheels.

I'm asking $5,795 and I live in the low country of s. carolina.

If your still interested send me a reply!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think a $6000 price range is what you are looking for. I have the same car that is for sale (above) but with a few more miles. I love the car and it's worth what the gentleman is selling it for. $7000K + is too much for all the little idiosyncratic issues you may run into on the first one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paid 5000$ for a 98 s90 with 75,000 miles. It just had 5000 worth of dealer repairs before I bought it.! Got a hell of a deal drove it for a year. After 15,000 more miles I have very recently spent another 1200 on a new radiator, fluid exchanges and transmission switch. Now I have a drivers side window problem but the car is top notch. I hope to sell it for about $6000 with 90000 miles I live in St. Louis MO if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my 1998 S90 three years ago for around that price, maybe a little less. It was in an amazing condition. I had to purchase new tires, but the engine was spotless, the interior was in excellent condition. I was very fortunate. Like someone else said, be patient. Look at all your options and don't try to save money by overlooking small problems that could cost you a lot of money later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts