Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife is after me to help her buy a used volvo. She's driven a 2001 S60 that she likes. I've seen some messages on this board about "common" problems, but they seem to refer to the Turbo model.

Are there any "common" problems with the basic automatic 2001 S60 models that I should know about?

Not interested in comparisons with other makes/models.

Thanks for your time in responding.

-Panoply

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The main common problem with all the 99 and up cars with all is the throttle body.Other than that the car is good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For me the biggest problems are the terrible turning radius. You need to plan half an hour before you park it, and the fact that this is a 2 passenger car. Zero rear legroom. One other item I hate is no power trunk release.

These cars are very reliable, just poorly designed in some aspects. You do see lots of 15 and 20 year old Volvos cruising around.

Mine is turbo with zero engine problems.

brianf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tech and Brianf,

Thank you for your comments. Although 2001 is the first year of the S60 it seems to be using all the same technology Volvo has used in the past. I noticed the lack of leg room, begin 6'4" it is definetly a two seater! but my wife will fit just fine and there seems to be room enough for a carseat / small child, and the car is for them. I too like the trunk release - but not a deal ender.

The throttle body .. okay, I like to know what to look for.

Turning radius .. she got rid of a manual steering del sol, try turning that from a dead stop.

-Panoply

·
Registered
81 Posts
Panoply; I did not mean that this car has heavy steering, it has to do with the radius.

A cement mixer can make a tighter turn. Seriously this thing must be in the 42 foot range. Impossible to do a u turn!!!!

brianf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Panoply, I own a 2.4T 2001 Gertronic S60. Its a Beautiful car to drive. everytime I seat in it, I smile.

Like every car it has + and -.
For me the minus is a faults is the climet control unit - turning the heating off after 40 minutes drive - making the car feel like a deep freezer AND the Turning radious. If u want to make a U turn with this car you need 3 lanes to do a safe turn (in one go).

Except that I LOVE This car - it drives like a dream, quiet, safe, very fast, and not bad on petrol. (am not bothered on the rear leg room - but its tight)

I highly recomend this car.
Raviv

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on the radius. I'd rather have that issue than the manual steering. Anyhow, I'll be checking a couple cars out this weekend, maybe I'll be able to give my wife an Easter present!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Out of curiosity, who makes a car with manual steering? Even the very cheapest Korean and American cars all come Std. with power steering these days in N.A.

brianf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Search continues. I checked out several S60's this past weekend. Since it will be a used car I'm a little extra picky with what I'm gonna get. Best "deal" I found was a car that got side-swiped and was repainted on the driver's side, Unfortuanelty the rear quater panel was replaced. I don't want to risk having to chase electrical problems - been there done that on other machines. I put deal in quotes because it may not have been a deal! Low miles and good price, clean inside and out.

I think I'll expand my search to include 2002 too.

One thing I noticed in all my test drives is that the automatic 2.4's seem to have a spongy gas pedal. Maybe that is the wrong word, but it seems as though when you put it in gear and slowly press down the gas, your foot goes down about an inch before the car responds? I swear it was like that in all of them. Maybe I'm just not use to it.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Probably because you are not used to it.The car has no throttle cable it is all electronic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I found a 2002 that we like. We should be picking it up near week's end. It still has life on the new car factory warrenty. I'm hoping it won't take more than 10,000 miles to find out if there are any serious problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right there with you. Picking up my 01 S60 T5 tomorrow. Got a good deal on her, she drove awesome for the test ride...

It has a 2/24 warranty, and the dealer is very reputable, so I am excited, and hope she is reliable, and as trouble free as possible. 55k on the clock, off lease vehicle, very well maintained.

Here is the pic from the dealers site...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not really. The throttle body can be cleaned as part of a standard tune-up for some cars, not sure about the volvo.

I really like the car. We ended up getting a '02, somebody else's lease. We'll see what happens over the long haul, but I feel good about the purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts