Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my ETM on my 99 S70. For the software upgrade, I need to get my computer or ECM flashed, thus I need to remove it. Does anyone know where it is located? Under the main fuse box? I have to remove the computer because I am having it re-programmed cheaply (not by the dealer)... Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is in the black box located just behind the washer fill.You will have to remove the cover to gain access to them.There is 2 of them in there one is for the engine and the other is for the trans.You will need a special tool to remove it.Im not sure if you can get one aftermarket yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tech!! I found the ecms. Do you know which one controls the engine and which one controls the trans. Also, it looks like the ecms are hooked to the wiring harness by some kind of "purple clips" that slide. Is a special tool really needed? Do you know if those clips slide to release the ecms? Thanks again for all your help!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes you will need the special tool.The only way you might be able to get it out is to remove the entire plastic case.Then you might be able to move the slider to release it.
The one for the engine might say denso on it.Im not sure if it is turbo or not.
The trans one should say something like AW-50-55 or something like that.

The special tool slides from the top and lock into the slider at the bottom.The you swing the tool from one side to the other to release it.It is kind of a pain to do it with the tool might be harder with out it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts