Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I keep seeing these Cold Air Intake Mods (on E-bay), which from what I can read is a resistor that piggy backs onto one of the sensors and tells the ECU that the air coming in is cold air which then adjusts fuel air mixture and is supposed to increase the horsepower and torque of the engine. Has anyone ever used any of these, and if so, what were your experiences? They sell pretty cheap so I wouldn't be wasting a lot of money on them, but then again I don't want to fry my ECU. Any input welcome.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Can you post a link to one of them.
Im not sure I would try it.It might make the car run to rich.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can give it a try it is your money.Looks fishey to be but thats just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
you could also do this at software end [rather than providing false input sensor to fool puter]

but end result is to alter the stociometric ratio ie make car run richer [at all times] and there are possible problems doing that of course, but for sure you will increase pollution and decrease fuel econ

the other issue is even my old K Jetronic has several ways to richen fuel when you flatten the accelerator, eg vaccum acts on a diaphram and bends a spring ..... etc

anyway I KNOW it works because I can see my oxygen gauge go into green zone, so I would have to assume volvo has already provided a far more sophisticated means to do that in a car with a puter

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kind of felt that it was too good to be true and I guess I just needed a couple of people to put into words what I was thinking. Appreciate the replies. I guess if I want more performance I need to convince my wife to let me upgrade to an S60 R

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Or just do it the proper way.Try to find cams and a bigger turbo the have the computer dyno tuned to everything works like it is supposed to.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
just to return to the orig idea of a resistor, it WILL work but as I say it will richen fuel across the whole range

the result will be maybe 5% extra power [with say 10% reduction in economy] so if thats OK then do it

cars are tuned from factory since 1980 or so to prevent emissions harming environment so result is that mixture will be a bit on the weak side from factory

for example in reading Bosch book on my old mechanical injection system, the overall fuel adjustment is via an 18 inch long allen key [special tool] right down the centre of engine to the air control flap, and because I am able to monitor mixture with my led oxygen gauge I make adjustments on this from time to time and that is exactly the same as you would be doing with the resistor

however the book tells me that in American market since I think about 1978 that allen key "adjustment" was fixed by law for american models so not adjustable at all

so moral is yes you will get some power increase but at expense of fuel econ and yes it is likely to be contrary to laws, depending on country

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
in fact just tried a Google and here is a typical ad for a gauge [same brand as I bought] to show you mixture ratio

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gofast/autometer4.html

in my case I had to buy and install sensor as well but the main customers for these are people like you with a puter already CONTROLLING the mixture, so they just piggy back to your sensor

I would be inclined to get the gauge first and observe just how rich the present volvo setup is, espec when you plant the foot and you may well conclude that there is little improvement to be made [ie once you are in the green zone you are just throwing fuel out the exhaust pipe so no purpose in going richer]

these gauges are also good to keep kids quiet on a long trip just watching the pretty lights flashing

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are numerous ones but in one of my earlier posts I put a link to one of them. You should be able to link to it from that post. Let me know if you do it and what if any improvements it makes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts