Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 S40 has black trim all around it. For some reason the black trim, especially that on the door handles and the front and rear, has turned very white. I don't know if it is from car wax or what. The problem is that I can't get it off. I tried 'Back to Black' but to no avail. It really looks terrible. Does anyone know of any 'miracle' cleaner that will restore my trim back to it's orginal black? I have not seen trim this bad, in terms of color. All other S40's I have seen have very clean, black trim. I don't know how they do it.
Also I am looks for a site that carrys S40 mods - clear corners, grills, and so on. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They turn white from wax and age.There is comapny's that sell the spray to fix it.
Also people on this forum have used black shoe polish to fix the moldings.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Usually a 'Vinyl Dressing' (ie: Armor All) will fix things for a while. The biggest problem with that is that any overspray looks horrible on the paint around the item sprayed. Most people spray it onto a rag and then wipe it onto the items, thus eliminating the overspray.

A fix that I found is to spray all affected items (bumpers, mirrors, wiper arms, etc..) before washing the car. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then wash as normal. No more overspray and things look good for a few weeks. I use a product called 'Super Gloss' that I get from Paul's Distributors(crappy website, but phone numbers are there). It costs $35 a gallon! But, it is worth every penny. My family and I have used it on lawn furniture, dish drainboards, engines (hoses, wires, and all), etc... and it really is a miracle product.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Check under "interiors and exteriors", but Ill tell again what I do. After washing the car, take a rag and wet it with Armor All, STP, etc. Wipe the trim with the rag. I never spray it on the car beacause of the oversrpay somone else metioned.

Let it sit for about 10 minutes, give or take a couple. It wont hurt if its longer. Wipe it off with a clean dry rag in a back and forth motion, like your polishing it. IF its as bad as it sounds u might need to do it twice.

Then do it the next couple of times u wash the car. Assuming its not bad enough to replace, this should do it. Just my experience, hope it helps

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The exterior black trim on my 440 turned grey but was soon fixed with CarPlan Black Trim Wax (www.cares4cars.co.uk) applied with a good quality cloth. Wipe any wax off of paintwork p.d.q. though - damp cloth or kitchen roll is best for removing overspill from paintwork. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts