Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
New on the board. Few weeks ago I noticed that my "check engine " light was one. I was told to check the fuel cap which I did. The local mechanic wants to charge me $90 to read the diagnostic. Is there a cheaper way to deal with this? Would unpluging the battery re-set the light?
I have a '99 V70 with about 90,000 miles.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Generally when the light comes on there is almost always something that needs attention. It could be as simple as an EGR valve. When it is the check engine light it is not usually a problem that requires immediate attention, although if you wait long enough it usually turns into a more substantial problem. I don't like spending the $90 either but I think you would be better served by having the problem checked now as opposed to confronting a bigger problem later on.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Here's something someone did, but i wouldn't recommend doing it always. For obvious reasons.

Go to the accessories shop that deals with the OBDII reader and get them to read the codes for you. If it as simple as reconnecting vacuum leaks, the DIY on the spot. Also ask them to delete it for you.

If you're a regular (even window-shopper) they shouldn't have a problem helping you out.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Eh, psst.

But don't tell anyone else, OK?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Jun 13 2005, 07:31 PM)Eh, psst.

But don't tell anyone else, OK?

[snapback]9595[/snapback]​

LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts