Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The first time the dealer cleaned the coils and something else and the light went out.

The next time the light came on after driving 118 miles after filling my tank. But went off again in 3 days.

This time the light came on only 59 miles after filling my tank and went out in two days.

This is the kicker just one day after the light went out it came back on again.

I have checked the gas cap and closed it until it just went around and around.

What gives.

I am definitely bringing it back to Volvo, just frustrating. And if the light goes off before l bring it in l'm sure they will tell me that the ligh has to be on to check it out.

This cannot be the gas cap!

Alan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi

The engine light problem is still a problem. It has been at the dealer now for three days and they cannot find a thing!

They even put a dye into the engine to check the combustion. This could be something that they will never find.

The car rides fine, sounds fine except for the check engine light going on and off.

Alan

·
Registered
143 Posts
I could say similar about the check engine light in my 03 S60. The car runs fine, the light comes and goes and I don't understand the code that I pulled on the obd ii reader that I bought for that reason. I'm getting a "P0192" code, which refers to the fuel rail pressure sensor. Were I having a problem with the pressure in the fuel rail, I would expect the car to hesistate, but it's not. As far as I can tell at least.

I'm wondering if the connection / sensor at the gas cap is malfunctioning. I tried wiping the surfaces off, but that didn't help. Good luck on yours and please keep us posted.

Ed

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just received a call that they narrowed it down to a spark plug that is misfiring!

I don't believe that
because they want me to pick it up tomorrow around noon (sat) and that my service advisor is going on vacation for a week.

I know the routine he is going to lay it on somebody else and if something happens the other advisor will say that l have to wait for my service advisor to get back.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Ask for the old parts and if it doesn't fix it have them reinstall them and reimburse you the money.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tech

They changed the plugs and did some softwear work and so far everything is OK.

They also gave me a new key fob instead of playing with the old one.

The total cost was nothing because it was under the orig warranty and l also had a loaner to use.

I will know in a couple of days if they fixed it or not.

Alan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Four days later the light came back on. I don't think that they have a clue what is going on!

How can they say that a code came up and that they fixed it over and over again.

Can the computer be bad?

It feels fine except when l start it when it is cold and it's rough for a couple of minutes and then it's perfect.

The strange thing is that it goes on and off every 3/4 days like clock work.

Alan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems to go on and off every four days and all the dealership was able to say is bring it back in and we will give you a loaner.

They have no idea what's going on and they will probably change everything under the hood until it just goes off on it's own.

Alan

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Take it back and tell them you don't want it back till it is fixed.
Tell them you want them to put many miles on it before they give it back.
Like 100 or something like that and you will know it is fixed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tech

It is as much time as miles. I will give them one more try to see what they come up with.

What l do not understand is that every time the light comes on it's something else.

This smells computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Either that, OR they're trying to blame the CPU for all the problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right now the car is still under the orig warranty for at least another 2500 miles before l go into my extended warranty from Volvo

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Then it would be best to flush the problem out, while still in warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
This is just my suspicious mind. I bet they know what is wrong with the car. I bet it is expensive to fix. I bet they are hoping that you will get sick of bringing it back so often that the car will go out of warranty and then they will tell you how much it is going to cost to fix it. By stalling for time-they are probably hoping that you will sell the car and then they won't have to pay for the repairs.

Maybe I should not be so suspicious!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
BUT!!!!
If you complain many times while the car is still under warranty and then goes out.You can complain more and make Volvo pay for it.Most of the time they will do a one time repair if you complained before going out of warranty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
believe me if the problem doesn't go away in another month l will send them a legal letter to cover myself for sure.

Alan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tonight when l was coming back from walking my dog l had to start my V70 to close the windows.

Bingo
the check engine light went off again. Normally l would have not started it until tomorrow morning which would have been the 4th day.

So l'm keeping detailed records on how many time l start the car rather then how many days. In my opinion it's how many times l start the car period.

Alan

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
For some functions on the car the computer goes by key cycles and not driving cycles.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

Kingman, you KEEP maintaining your records, if any, I am sure it would serve you well when liasing with Volvo later on...

And make sure it would be worth the trouble... like giving you a new ECU set of chips, etc, etc, etc...

Maybe a bit far-fetched but still not impossible.

Good luck, man!

In the meantime, blast and enjoy your car - you purchased it and you earned that right!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts