Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
T bought a can of r134 and a charging kit, I thought the low pressure side was behind the passenger headlight. I found the plug, it says 6.5 something on it--I unscrewed it, but the attachment on the can was way bigger than the plug, and the plug was a screw on kind--I cant locate the type of plug that the R134 kit would attach to. Can anyone give me any suggestions on where to find low pressure plug to charge the a/c system?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That is the low pressure port for the car.If the hose from the kit won't fit then it might be a kit for the high pressure port. The 850 doesn't have a high side port.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tech, I checked the kit it was for the low pressure side, i guess i need to buy an adapter for the volvo, maybe i should just take it in to be charged==

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Your 850 should have everything you need unless someone messed with it.

The low side should have just snapped on and then you should have been fine.

Where in FLA do you live?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the car new in in 96 and never had the ac charged until about 3 weeks ago, the guy put some dye in it to see if it was leaking, and he said he only put a 1/2 load in the system--I had it checked for leaks and they didnt find any, but he never did put the other 1/2 load into the system. So i decided to do it myself. Hence the problem. The low side behind the light looks like the high side on any other vehicle for instance--I looked at my wifes car a 2004 porsche suv and the low side on her car was designed for the kit. Her hi side looks like my low side. On my volvo it looks like a valve on a tire. I am also having problems with the temperature switch in the a/c compressor itself, can this switch be removed and bypassed or replaced? I am having problems finding a shop that will do just that, and not try to sell me a new compressor I live in Sanford near the airport

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That picture is the Standard low side port That is on every car I have seen with 134a.

Look on the back of the compressor and look for the switch with 2 wires coming out of it.Unplug both sides and plug the wire from the car directly to the compressor.

If you still have the problem you will need a new compressor.

If you need one let me know and maybe you can come into the shop I work at in Winter Park.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GIVE ME TH NAME OF YOUR SHOP AND PH # , I NEED THE CAR SERVICED ANYWAY IN THE NEXT MONTH, i AM TAKING IT TIO VOLVO FOR A RECALL LATER THIS WEEK. PLUS I HAVE A BLOWN ENGINE/TRANNY MAIN SEAL THAT I NEED TO HAVE REPLACED SOON--I JUST AM WAITING TO WIN THE LOTTO--HA HA. THE VALVE ON THE VOLVO SEEMED SMALLER, AND THE KIT DIDNT SNAP ON TO IT--MAYBE I NEED A SCREW ON KIT??. I WILL BRING IT TO AN AIR CONDITIONING PLACE TO HAVE IT CHARGED--THANK TECH

PS DO YOU KNOW OF ANY GOOD SHOPS THAT RE-UPHOLSTER LEATHER CAR SEATS??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
YOU HAVE A PM

I hear maitland auto upolstery does a good job.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Looks like a lot of refurbishing work, Icepick.

But you're in good hands with Tech.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know it needs work, and I have wanted to sell it, but I cant get myself to do it--THE CAR DRIVES SO **** GOOD!!!!! I have driven newer models and they just dont have that apeal of the 850. Plus in 10 yrs the car has never let me down. It just has the usual 850 problems===== ABS/MAIN SEAL/AC/SPEEDO thats about it not bad for a car with ove 200,000 miles on it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts