Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

As you can see, I'm new to this forum. I did some searches but did not find anything.

On my 1986 740, the automatic locks sometimes work and sometimes don't. It always locks -- the unlocking part is hit-and-miss. Mostly miss. I'm pretty sure it's the relay: I've gotten in the habit of just literally poking at the relay behind the fuses, which "pops" all the locks to unlocked. I was thinking of actually fixing the problem, though.

The information I've found online is conflicting. I can't get a solid confirmation about which relay to use. This suggests that K is the relay to replace. But I replaced that one, and it didn't help. I have another relay in the L slot that seems like the real candidate (although that reference said L should be empty).

This looks like the part I want, and the image seems to match my expectations. But I'm not sure.

Can anyone tell me:

- is there a reliable reference guide online for relays?
- do you happen to know the right relay to replace for solving this problem?
- does my description of the relay make sense? If I gave you more information, would that help?
- Is the central lock relay a good item to get from a pick-n-pull? Or should I pay full price?

Thanks for any help!

------

Okay, those links don't seem to work. Try these:
http://tinyurl.com/dr74p
and
http://tinyurl.com/ad4wh

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can try a relay from a salvage yard.
I would also look at the drivers door lock assembly.There is a switch in there that tell the other doors to unlock.
I have seen the locks go bad more that the relays.
But that problem is pretty rare on those cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im having similar problem, my key wont turn in the lock to lock my doors. when im in town (I live in the bush!!) i have to get out and lock the doors by pressing down the lock from the inside which locks all the others and it looks locked but the drivers door isnt...

eh damm ovlov

1 - 3 of 3 Posts