Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, thought I'd give it a try. I'm trying to install an aftermarket remote keyless entry on my 1996 850. The car has central locking which works fine, except that often when I close the tailgate the system locks. No biggie, probably a dirty switch or a loose connection in the tailgate lock system.

Now, the installation was not quite successful, even though I count myself a pretty able DIYer, and have Haynes and VADIS available.

I used the accessory power connector under the drivers side dash, worked fine.

I wired the turn signals to blink on lock/unlock using a relay, worked fine.

For unlock, I wired the receiver relay to give a ground pulse to the Gray/Red wire running from the drivers door lock to 85a on the central locking relay. This worked just fine.

The final step was to wire for lock: I wired the receiver to give a ground pulse to the Yellow/Grey lock wire that goes to 86 on the relay. It doesn't work. I try grounding the wire manually, doesn't work. I check if the wire is actually grounded when I lock the door manually. It is.

Has anyone got a clue? Please drop a note if you have any suggestion at all.

Snorri H.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You might have a hard time getting it to work properly.From the factory it came with 2 stage locking.The factory keyless you have to hit unlock twice to unlock all the doors.The first time you hit the button it would only unlock the drivers door.

One way you might be able to do it is to go from the lock and unlock switch in the dash.That might be the only way to get it working properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 2 2005, 03:46 PM)You might have a hard time getting it to work properly.From the factory it came with 2 stage locking.The factory keyless you have to hit unlock twice to unlock all the doors.The first time you hit the button it would only unlock the drivers door.

One way you might be able to do it is to go from the lock and unlock switch in the dash.That might be the only way to get it working properly.
[snapback]4355[/snapback]​

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately my car has not got the switch.

My car also does not have two stage locking. Anyway, the unlock part works like a charm. It's only the locking part which eludes me.

My next step might be to test the tailgate lock to find out how the lock signals to the relay to activate locking.

The original remote keyless entry system sends a short pulse for locking and a long for unlocking, too bad it wasn't a two-wire system.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If all else fails get one aftermarket lock actuator.Hook it inline with the drivers door lock rod and use that to lock and unlock the drivers door.Alot of times cars with single stage locking that is how alarm shops install it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Mar 2 2005, 05:14 PM)If all else fails get one aftermarket lock actuator.Hook it inline with the drivers door lock rod and use that to lock and unlock the drivers door.Alot of times cars with single stage locking that is how alarm shops install it.
[snapback]4365[/snapback]​

Thanks for the suggestion, that would work. Lets hope that all else will not fail!

Snorri Hl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved, but not very elgantly.

To understand this you probably need to glance at the wiring diagram...

I wanted to use the existing central locking relay(CLR) for the door lock power and only signal it using the receiver. In the end I had to put a power relay inline with the M- yellow wire to the drivers doorlock. At first I tried pulsing this wire directly and promptly fried the receiver, as the M- and M+ are both grounded at the CLR at rest. I repaired the receiver and put the relay inline so that the M- goes from the door to the CLR as normal, but when the remote lock function is activated the connection to the CLR is opened and 12V applied to the lock through the M- wire.

Confusing post? Maybe, but if you are having problems you could probably make sense of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear freind:
Just read your artcle on the locks. I am a DYRS also and have the HAYNES, but, pardon my ignorance, what is VADIS, it might be helpful for me also and would like to know. I am new to the volvo community and am trying to learn as much as possible to work on the vehicle.
Also, does anyone out there know where to purchase a scanner system for the 850, Most systems I have found run between the 3k and 6k.!!!!!!! Although the onboard computer system is pretty helpful I find myself scratching my head figuring out what to do with EXAMPLE: 3-2-3 GROUND CONDUCTIVE REFELCTIVE HYDROSYNCH NOT YIGILIN THE TURBO SCREW!!!! JUST A JOKE, But I think you know what I mean.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VADIS comes on a DVD and includes TSBs, parts lists, repair/replacement descriptions, troubleshooting methods and such for Volvos. It costs thousands of dollars, but I've heard of unscrupulous persons selling DVDs on ebay.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Vadis is an awesome program.I have been using it for 6 years.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Unfortunately, neither both are available in my country. Have to order online. * sob * sob *

1 - 12 of 12 Posts