Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise ? Central locking operates intermittently. Sometimes the doors lock successfully and other times the passenger door is left open. I can then retry and it might work but often I have to manually lock the passenger door. Help please as I reckon Volvo dealership will cost an arm and a leg to fix!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Is your poriblem with the same door all the time?If so your door lock is bad and you will have to have it replaced.That is becoming somewhat of a problem with age due to when people service the vehicles they lube the door hinges and door locks.When the lube goes into the lock after a while it makes the micro switches in the door lock go bad.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would say that is defenetly your problem.They really arent that hard to replace if you have any mech. skills at all.If you need help doing it I will help walk you through it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tech, can he simply clean his door lock by using an electric contact cleaner if the lube penetrates into micro switches? I also have intermittent driver side door locking problem, and the door unlocks itself when trying to lock by using a keyless remote or the central lock switch. This usually does not happen when cold morning. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can try but I doubt it will work.The damage is usually done already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 25 2004, 09:34 PM)You can try but I doubt it will work.The damage is usually done already.
[snapback]1877[/snapback]​

My 2001 s60 did that, the dealer replaced the door modulator and so far so good.
Marc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope to look at it this week and see if I can figure it out. I will keep you posted to my progress. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The S60 locking system appears to be from the same supplier as that used on VW Passats '98-01. We had the same problem with the Passat. Sometimes leaning into the front passanger door from the outside fixed the problem. The car went into the dealer several times for adjustment and they finally got it right. No parts were replaced. Maybe you'll get lucky and just need an adjustment of the mechanism inside the door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thamks RLW. I'll try this as well. Haven't been able to look at it myself for over two weeks now. Weather has been very poor here, lots of rain and I am now back at work after the holiday season. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eventually took it to the dealer who fixed it for 90 pounds. This was actually half the cost as the dealership is claiming Volvo for the other half. It is a known problem. The car is just about eight months out of warranty or I could have had it fixed for free. Worth talking to your dealers if you are still in warranty - my car is a 2001 model but seemingly there are newer models that have similar locks, that's about all I got. Anyway, my door is now working perfectly well. Thanks to all who responded.

Jamsie

·
Registered
1 Posts
My s60 2001 had the same problem.
eventualy the dealer told me that one of the door's locks went bad.
It was the rear left door locks, and it wasn't even the door witch was giving me problems.

They replaced it and i haven't had the problem since.
Well this is what my dealer told me anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts